Thread: Strange 501 Error

Strange 501 Error

I've been googling around for this, and much to my surprise I've hardly found anything on it. Most 501 errors the search engine found any info on were other kinds of 501s...I guess this type is a little more elusive? In any case, here's what I'm dealing with:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: torque calibrartion
    Sent: 5/16/2006 6:13 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

<flastname@domain.com> on 5/16/2006 6:13 PM
    501 <<flastname@domain.com>>: missing or malformed local part
    The email address is typed correctly. Any idea what this means?

Note that both sender and recepient are using accounts on the same domain, same Exchange server.

I just sent a test email to that address myself (I'm on a totally different domain and server), and nothing bounced back.

AOs Resident Troll
    Google turned up some stuff

http://www.policypatrol.com/Spam-filter-article.htm

Missing or malformed Message ID: Since the Message ID includes information about where the message is coming from, it is often missing or malformed (i.e. no @ sign or an empty string) in spam messages. The Message ID is in the form of xxx@domain.com. The first part can be anything and the second part is the name of the machine that assigned the ID. Although Message ID's are not strictly required, one can safely assume that they would only be missing or malformed if done deliberately to disguise the source of the message.
    Have Exchange SP2 installed??http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...2security.mspx

Is the user remote??? or local....the new patch issued kalst week locked down some mobile features???

Is the machine ALLOWED to send mail through the exchange server....I think the Exchange server thinks its relaying??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

A thought:

Consider this --

<flastname@domain.com> on 5/16/2006 6:13 PM
    501 <<flastname@domain.com>>: missing or malformed local part

Doesn't it look like the user had actually typed brackets into the To: field? That would explain the double brackets there. Maybe that's what threw it off?

AOs Resident Troll
    I recently had a problem with an application generating email....

where the exhange thought it was spam??

Is the user generating the email???

Turn up the logging in exchange....

Can the user email other people on the domain???

or just not this one??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Actually, my first hunch was right!

Turns out the user had the above address entered in his contacts list with the <> around it, thus causing the error. Removed the brackets from the contact entry, and now all looks well.