HEY You may be a victim of software counterfeiting!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HEY You may be a victim of software counterfeiting!

HEY You may be a victim of software counterfeiting!

OMFG... I have a log server (running Kiwi of course) that was an OEM Dell NT workstation with licensed copy and was upgraded to XP Pro with a corporate license that I personally bought and intalled. This thing has been running for years along winodows update and that annoying Windows Genuine Advantage tool for months. Today... Your Copy of WIndows is not genuine. Absolutely no changes to any configuration. Ok fine...

Del *.*
    Format C:
    boot : Linux install

FLUSH whats that? The sound of another windows box going into the toilet.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

It seems as if this problem has been encountered by a number of people.

I suspect that MS rushed the deployment of the software?

You could have saved yourself some time... the linux install disc(s) can do the two previous commands for you! lol
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I am laughing my ass off at that avatar phish. Linux is even faster with the DVD boot and all defaults.

//EDIT Nihil, I know linux almost as much as I know windows. Maybe a little more since you have to interact a little more to install stuff. There is no reason I see going forward on some boxes when this happens. I had a heck of a time getting the key to work the other day. After looking around trying deperately to find the righ keyed CD I bought with the damn machine... I installed Linux and had it up and back in operation in way less time than re-installing windows. And going forward if it's replaceable each time i have to call MS and get a key reset or mess with this Not Geniune crap, FLUSH.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Lol, didn't I say this would happen when someone posted about this tool ? Yes I did Hahahahaha.

I remember the first time I got pissed off a a Windows machine here. I too went for the Linux install media. And Phish is right you could have saved yourself a command just booting from the disks. However, if you're like me, you probably enjoyed deleting the file system.

I remember doing that to Windows 98SE:

deltree C:WINDOWS *.* \y

I think that worked, I can't remember the exact syntax.

So what did you install?

On my network here I have a Laptop dual booting slackware 10.2 and Windows XP Home, this box dual booting Slackware and SUSE, the other box dual booting SUSE and Windows 98 SE so I can play oldschool DOS ****. And my FTP server running SUSE, and another machine in here, which was my Mom's old machine, the HD went in it, so I popped a new one in and she had already ordered a new computer so I kept it, it's dual booting Slackware Linux 10.2 and Free BSD 6.0. Current up time: 38 days, 17 hours, 27 minutes.

My Windows 98 SE SUSE box:

59 days, 23 hours, 12 minutes. (Booted into SUSE, running KDE, Kmail, Mutt, Fetchmail, and SSH and FTP servers, andit's all on a P3 733 MHz machine with 384 MBs RAM).

I play around with almost every distro that comes out but I always delete them and install SuSE. I just don't know why, maybe the green color is hypnotising me but I always end up with SuSE. But just for fun I have a bunch of bootable distros.

greeeeeeeeeeeen.......................

you probably enjoyed deleting the file system.
    EXACTLY.

greeeeeeeeeeen........................
    West of House

You know what, I find this thread incredibly sad...................

It displays a lack of perspicacity and understanding of the industry that is frightening.

Look at the situation if you will?

1. Microsoft sold a product that they claimed had certain properties?
    2. This product was PURCHASED in good faith
    3. Microsoft subsequently took an ineffectual course of action that rendered the product partially "unfit for purpose" and not of "merchantable quality" in some circumstances?
    4. This action was taken without the consumers' expressed knowledge and consent?

Not that much different from Sony BMG?............except their "sin" was applicable in all circumstances.

I can assure you that if people belly up and take the coward's way out things will not get any better.

The correct approach is to insist that Microsoft fix the problem at their expense ..............OK they may think that buying a few politicians is adequate? well we have the votes and it is time that MS and their ilk were made aware of this?

If we do not defend our individual and corporate consumer rights we are surely doomed?

If we do not defend our individual and corporate consumer rights we are surely doomed?
    Hi Nihil,
    Putting the merits of this particular example aside (i.e. whether Microsoft is doing right or not), it seems to me that switching to a competitor (in this case Linux) is certainly a valid way of working for change. Competition makes things better for the consumer.

An example is my internet service provider, a cable company. When DSL became an option, eventually the cable company increased the speed of the internet service. Competition between the companies generated a better value for the buyer.

Is there a company which will not pay attention when they begin to lose revenue to competition? It seems to me that Linux provides a great service to users of other operating systems, since it gives them an option, a place to go.

Also, a switch to Linux can eliminate product validation concerns altogether. Linux distributions are available that can be installed on as many computers as you wish.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Hey,

I am not knocking any specific product or even products in general. My moan is about the way some corporates put their commercial interests way above the service levels that they promise and owe their customers. And, above what I would consider to be responsible corporate behaviour, and their commercially moral duties.

Because of its open source nature, Linux is obviously nothing like as susceptible to this temptation, as closed source suppliers.

I take your comments on competition, but Microsoft don't do competition do they?.................. witness anti trust prosecutions in the US and Europe

I can assure you that if people belly up and take the coward's way out things will not get any better.
    Switching OS's is a cowards way out? Not sure what you mean there. I don't shop at certain retailers because of what you described above in a post that is very well articulated. So I am taking action and minimizing my risk on a softwware company that seems blinded by their actions. Much like the RIAA, focusing on what is best for their control versus what consumers desire and more important what they are willing to shell out money on. It was "flexability" that made microsoft the giant they are today. Otherwise we would be calling the CEO of Apple the worlds most wealthy human

I can't solely operate on Linux or any one OS and I don't even want too MS included. But I can say with great certainty I won't be upgrading ANYTHING anytime soon. Not when I run the risk of a critical business function being flagged as not a genuine windows product. MS should ENSURE their business line is completely separate from grandma surfing AOL at night. They are in fact doing the opposite. Merging business and home use into a single maintainable workstation. And I am no stranger to my local MS reps either in their own offices or at local professional organizations.

Other than that I agree with you, we cannot take the cowards way out. I cannot fathom why they are doing this, they aren't losing revenue and Linux continues to gain a foot hold. I can only come to the conclusion that they all believe we will just roll over and let them scratch out bellies while they reach for our wallets.

//EDIT I am sure I'll buy a copy or two of Vista for my test boxes. Its like a drug addiction.
    West of House