Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: upgrade

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Excellent help guys esp nihil, turned out to be the ram, speed was too slow only ddr 333 512mb, when i changed 2 1gb ddr 400 sorted thanks
    That's strange, 512mb of pc2700 ram is very capable of running windows xp just fine... I bet you the ram wasn't too slow, I bet the ram you replaced was just faulty...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Just to close this off a little?

TheDuck rightly observes IMO:

That's strange, 512mb of pc2700 ram is very capable of running windows xp just fine... I bet you the ram wasn't too slow, I bet the ram you replaced was just faulty...
    I have a machine with just the same configs, and he is right.

I suspect that there might be a bit deeper compatibility issue here?

New MoBo=New RAM, as far as I am concerned

Darn it, I'm late on giving my answer of the RAM being defective.

Unless your motherboard ONLY supports DDR400 and upwards (which may not be likely in your case), it would surely work with DDR333, UNLESS....

1) The DDR333 RAM is defective (this can happen on brand new RAM)
    2) The motherboard works with only physically single sided RAM or Double sided RAM modules.
    3) The CMOS RAM parameters are manually set to incorrect value(s).

[On a slightly different tangent]
    You'd think in this day and age that RAM type incompatibilities would have disappeared.
    Not so.

You'd think in this day and age that Harddrive incompatibilities would have disappeared too.
    Not so.

[Ram]
    Just built 5 brand new workstations and found one 512 RAM module defective in the 312MB area. Because a 72hr burn-in procedure is performed, the memory error was found before it shipped to a not-yet-frustrated client. (when replaced with a double-sided memory module, it would not boot)

[Harddrive]
    Just built the Server for the 5 new workstations and found a Maxtor 300GB (or less) SATA drive has random disk errors (issues) with a motherboard with an NForce4 chipset, in either a single or RAID configuration. A HD firmware upgrade from Maxtor (supposed to fix the problem) doesn't, but I figured out a work-around for the future and simply replaced the Maxtor with a WD on this particular machine.

Years ago, there used to be alot of incompatibilities between products whereby a tech almost had to memorize a list of them.

But as the saying goes: "The more things change, the more they stay the same."
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

I have upgraded a computer which had a faulty m/b.
    Hey, maybe the motherboard wasn't bad after all, just the RAM.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Hey, rcgreen

Hey, maybe the motherboard wasn't bad after all, just the RAM.
    That should have given two BIOS bleeps, which I did ask about?..............

My guess would be that the old MoBo fried and damaged the RAM in the process. When you move that onto a new box it is not recognised as a RAM problem, because the new BIOS never knew what the RAM really should be?

Obviously that is a pure guess