Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrade

upgrade

Hello ppl

I have upgraded a computer which had a faulty m/b. I installed a new m/b, gcard, sound, and cpu. After all was installed i switch the pc on, all was fine up to the windows screen

Problem one: on the welcome screen i clicked on the user name and i was asked to activate windows which it has never asked me to do before, i tried to activate it but it wouldnt conect to the internet can ne1 advise.

Problem two: after it had asked me to activate window i reset the pc and changed the boot divices in the bios, primary i changed from fdd to hdd, secondary i changed from hdd to cdrom, and third i changed from hdd to fdd, i then saved and the pc reset, it reached the windows loading screen the the pc reset, i waiting and then it reset again and continues to reset after 7 second of the pc starting ne ideas? i thought maybe the processor is over heating or the psu might not be powerful enough

Please help!!!!!!!!!Thanks
    If you can\'t convince them, confuse them.

AOs Resident Troll
    Did you reinstall windows after you replaced the MB???

Cause if it aint the same MB as was in it before......you have to reinstall....because of the harddrive controller

Get the data off the disk first

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

You will probably have to reactivate Windows.

If you cannot do this over the internet call Microsoft UK....................you need to have the product key which should be on a label attached to the case.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    As said before, you must call microsoft if you don't have internet access... And surprisingly it's a pretty painless procedure .
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

I tried to re-install windows but the pc is reseting its self, i dont even have time to boot into the bios or enter sys recovery. Do you think it could be the cpu over heating or maybe there isnt enough power from the psu? i have had the pc upto the welcome screen the first time i booted up and thats it...........help me!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhh

Hmmm,

1. Did you install a new heatsink and fan that were approved for your new processor?

2. Is the CPU fan spinning when you power up?

3. Try disconnecting the HDD and CD/DVD drives and see if you can get into the BIOS

4. What lights come on?

5. What are the specifications for your hardware? especially the PSU.

6. What do you see on the screen when you try to boot?

Yes it was a fan that came with the processor and had a small amount of heatsink on the bottom.

The fan is spinning

psu is 400watts, cpu intel pentuim d, mem 512, m/b rs400a, gcard 512 ati rad x1300

When i boot the computer i get the m/b name on the screen then it gets to the windows loading and resets but it doesnt reset all the time at the same point some times it wont change screen from the motherboard name at the start, it resets at different points.

OK.

1. What lights come on when you boot. You should get all three on the keyboard, the CD/DVD drive(s) and the floppy drive. They should just flicker briefly.

2. As soon as the Motherboard/BIOS header comes up on the screen try tapping the BIOS key (Escape, F1 or whatever). If you can get into the BIOS, reset the boot sequence to what it was, TURN OFF all power saving options, and disable the "fast boot" option.

3. If it gets to "starting windows" then keep tapping F8 and see if you can get into safe mode.

4. The PSU will have a fan..............does that come on when you power up?

5. When you power up, do you get any bleeps from the BIOS, if so, how many?

6. You might try disconnecting the HDD and optical drives so you only have a floppy drive. Put a floppy boot disk in and see if that takes you to a command prompt.

As this resetting is at uneven intervals it is probably not overheating that is your problem.

The 400W PSU should be adequate to at least get it to boot into Windows. It might, however, be defective.

Similarly, you may have defective RAM, do you just have one strip? is it from the original machine? What type is it? Please check that it is seated properly.

I am assuming that your video card has a fan, is that spinning properly? I don't think it is video at this stage, as you don't seem to be getting quite far enough for that. Whilst you are in the box, make sure that it is seated properly.

Excellent help guys esp nihil, turned out to be the ram, speed was too slow only ddr 333 512mb, when i changed 2 1gb ddr 400 sorted thanks

Thanks for letting us know the outcome mate!