Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old technology books

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Old technology books

Ok. I've prided myself on having practically my own personal library. That said, however, I've managed to acquire enough to fill a room on their own (and many I no longer use). It's made me wonder what others do with their old books? I did find out that the local library will take them and whatever they don't use they will sell (which is fine for me as I'm a big supporter of libraries and literacy programs).

So what do you do with your old tech books?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    All of my old tech books are in a free box that says Jack Daniels Whisky I got from the Liqour Store in the top of my closet collecting dust lol.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

If the ink is safe. Mulch. Mulch. Mulch

If they are fairly useful, like say Win98 or this generation of TCP/IP networking... "Goodwill" charity

If older and no longer accurate, along bad (unsafe) ink - I burn them and ENJOY it. Otherwise they go into my weekly recycle bin.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AOs Resident Troll
    I was just looking at those books on my bookshelves last night...wondering what to do with them. (I need room for some new books ...)

I gave all my introduction to computers, and 98 stuff away years ago.....the even older stuff I think went in the recycle bin.

I think donating to a library is a good idea......

hmmmmmmmmm

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hey Hey,

I would like to suggest that everyone who's interested in getting rid of their old books... send them to me ...

Especially old programming books, or books on Old Operating systems.. but I'll take anything... I rather enjoy the old books... and they are getting harder and harder to find...

Peace,
    HT

Blast From the Past
    keep them for later refrence

the information never really goes bad... it is just adapted and improved... but the basic principles remain the same.

and besides who doesnt like reading an Appe ][e manual!... oh the laughs... they actualy thought 64k was something to rave about
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

If we had infinite space we would keep them all hex. Although I have used an old dos book from time to time. So that one stays.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I tend to donate them to educational establishments where there are like minded people who feel that a brief study of the history of IT can help a lot of students see the big picture" more quickly.

If stuff is relevant to particular old equipment that I have or distribute, then I keep them together......... I guess I am a sort of clearing house

Anyways, a lot of younger people like playing with the old stuff, if only to say that they have done it?

I give them away to young computer enthusiasts, something like a little support!
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

i burn them