Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installation problems

installation problems

ok i have upgraded everything m/b, mem, hdd, gcard, cpu, sound exempt fdd and cdrom and psu 400watts. When i install windows on the hdd it formats ok then installs windows files, after it resets it freezes on the m/b screen at the start (as in the name or type of m/b) thats as far as it goes, when i reset it starts up ok but stops on the windows loading screen, it also done this with the old hdd so i cant be a hdd problem, ive ran out of solutions ne help??

Many thanks
    If you can\'t convince them, confuse them.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well if it freezing on start...before windows loads...I believe you have a hardware problem??

Either a bad piece\card or misconfigured in the bios???

More info on board type and cards installed would probably help???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

m/b rs400a, mem ddr 400, cpu pentuim d, psu 400w, gcard 512mb ati

Or maybe an incompatibility issue...

check to see if all the parts can work together...

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Do you get any BIOS beeps??

I have a suspicion it's the PSU... You should probably get one with more amperage... Especially on the 12v for that vid card of yours...

Unplug the FDD the CD ROM, hell even the HDD to see if you can atleast smoothly enter the CMOS settings... Or if you want take out the HDD and CD ROM and place a bootable floppy in the FDD... After you do this and you avoid the freezing start adding components one at a time... Like I said, it sounds like a weak PSU... Possibly even faulty ram but not likely...

How old is the PSU and what are the specs? What was it powering before you upgraded everything?
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

ever thing is new exempt the fdd hdd cdrom(s) and psu, i removed the fdd and cdroms and it booted ok, dont wanna sound silly but whats the next step i need to take?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    You need a better Power Supply... Maybe no one with more watts, but one that supplies more amps, sorry I can't explain right now, I'm in school...

Oh and make sure the HDD is on it's own IDE channel... Put the cd drives on the second channel and the HDD on the first....
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

ok dude ive got to the welcome screen and windows is installed properly, i changed the psu and the cdrom. Sometimes thou when i restart the computer it is still resetting its self at different times before the windows loading screen comes up. when i switched it on it boots up to the welcome screen, i then log on, then i restart it and sometimes it just keeps resetting b4 the windows loading but sometimes it doesnt!!!!!!!!ne ideas?????????

Just Another Geek
    Heat? Did you use a good cpu cooler? Is it installed correctly? Did you use a cooling paste?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

yes, it only resets its self when i restart the computer, once ive logged onto window i dont have any problems that occur its just when i restart the pc, it resets its self and sometimes freezes on the very first screen the one with the mother board name!