Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: installation problems

yes, it only resets its self when i restart the computer, once ive logged onto window i dont have any problems that occur its just when i restart the pc, it resets its self and sometimes freezes on the very first screen the one with the mother board name!
    If you can\'t convince them, confuse them.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Man, your going to have to be a lot more specific, give every little detail you can...

What are the specs of the new PSU you installed? How old is it? Why did you change the CD drive?

I'm assuming most of the problems you were experiencing before were resolved once you changed the PSU?

But on occasion you still experience random reboots and freezes at the mobo splash screen?

Well, you could try resetting the cmos just for the heck of it, but I doubt that will solve anything.

If my assumptions are correct, then something is telling me that since your PSU was faulty (we know this since most of your problems went away when you replaced it), your mobo might be on it's way out as well... When PSU's go bad they like to take things with it...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

As a process of elimination type of exercise I would get the diagnostic program from your HDD manufacturer's site and run that.

Then test your RAM:

http://www.memtest86.com/

TheDuck has a good point. If you had a defective PSU it might have damaged other things. Your symptoms sound rather like damaged RAM to me?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I was thinking ram problem as well, but he said the computer boots normally and runs fine most of the time... He says it freezes or reboots at the mobo splash screen... Is the ram even in use at this part of the booting process? I don't think so...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

The Duck

I could be very wrong here mate, but I would have said no RAM = no PC. You might get a couple of beeps out of the BIOS to warn you?

To start with it uses the first 640k then up to 1024k, then it tests the extended memory. My thinking was that if you have damaged RAM rather than a totally dead stick, you might get some weird results?

I would suggest:

1. Clean and reseat everything, and check the cables
    2. Try replacing the cables
    3. Run the HDD and RAM tests
    4. Go into BIOS and turn off all power saving schemes (snooze as well)
    5. Turn off screensaver and any fancy wallpaper.
    6. Disable "fast boot" in the BIOS

I am afraid that when you are faced with an intermittent fault, you have to use trial and error.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    No nihil, you are very right . I must have lost my mind temporarily ...

Unfortunately there are 2 (maybe more) possibilities that could be intermittent... If your ram turns out to be good, then I would bet on a faulty mobo...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

and after alot trail and error the new mobo i bought was faulty guys, thanks for all your help
    If you can\'t convince them, confuse them.

hmm sorry to pop in late. But could it off been a case of installing a 32bit version on a 64bit computer? or vice versa?

i know i get huge issues when i do this on accident..

f2B