Thread: Problem connecting Auditor with WPA enabled

Problem connecting Auditor with WPA enabled

I have the Auditor Live CD and have had difficulty connecting to my router with it. I disabled SSID broadcast and enabled both WPA and MAC filtering. The wireless hardware in the laptop is Intel PRO 2200BG (I burned the "no-ipw" version of Auditor). When I ran the network setup facility in Auditor, it mentioned WEP but not WPA.

I could "see" my own router with Kismet. The first network listed by Kismet was "!<no ssid>", it was the correct channel (8) and the packets that it counted started and stopped as I connected and disconnected the router several times. There were two other networks which were listed by their broadcast SSID.

How can I get my laptop to connect to the router via the wireless connection? It will connect normally via an ethernet cable.

I have no experience of Linux so I'd be grateful if any responses could bear that in mind! I've read about wpa_supplicant but don't know if that's relevant.

Thanks for your patience.

Just Another Geek
    wpa_supplicant is definitely relevant.. You'll need it if you want to use WPA..

Why don't you give BackTrack a shot? It's the followup to Whax & Auditor..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I can definitely recommend BackTrack. Give it a try, it's worth it.

Available here:
    http://www.remote-exploit.org/index.php/BackTrack
    http://www.remote-exploit.org/index....rack_Downloads

Thank you for the tip about BackTrack. As it's taken over from Auditor, I assumed that it may have the relevant files to allow me to set up wireless access using WPA. Unfortunately, I can't even connect to the internet using an ethernet cable with it but I could do this with Auditor. I'm still not able to use Auditor or BackTrack to connect to my router with WPA enabled.

I used Kismet and, as with Auditor, it picked up plenty of packets from my router, so I know that the WNIC is working.

I'm at a loss. I know that wpa_supplicant is "definitely relevant" but I don't know how to use it:

Do I need to download anything? If so, where from and where to I put it in the filing system (whether using Auditor or BackTrack as a Live CD)?

I know that I'll need a text file which contains the WPA key and other data but, again, where should I put it in the filing system?

Thanks for your time and patience.

I, too, have had my share of problems connecting to wireless networks via Backtrack. I run a couple of laptops, this one running XP and another older Compaq running both W2K and Ubuntu. Ubuntu picks up my Orinico card just fine and works relatively well (got a few minor issues). I picked up a Senao card (Prism 3 chip) for this laptop and Backtrack picks it up OK (Kismet works perfect). But I'm not well-versed in config'ing wireless under Linux. I've tried a combo of iwconfig and ifconfig switches to no avail. And strangely enough, the Senao shows up as two (?) devices in iwconfig (wifi0 and wlan0), whereas the Orinico only appears as one under Backtrack. Any help config'ing the wireless appreciated.

p.s.-- I tried posting iwconfig's output and couldn't because of too many tags/characters. The message said to contact an admin.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Just Another Geek
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Many thanks - I'll give it a try.