Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ummm oookayyy... RIAA suing XM radio

Ummm oookayyy... RIAA suing XM radio

Now maybe it's just me, but I think this is getting ridiculous...

Credit: Yahoo news

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060517/...nm/media_xm_dc

Story Lead-in:

By Sue Zeidler
    Wed May 17, 9:00 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The recording industry on Tuesday sued XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc., alleging its Inno device that can store music infringes on copyrights and transforms a passive radio experience into the equivalent of a digital download service like iTunes.
    Yes - artists should get paid - I have no argument with that - it's just that... now the RIAA is suing a legitimate service because of it's new device to record broadcasts? Yes - no one has ever made a tape or tapes from radio broadcasts before.
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

What? Record the radio? Me? NEVER!

Were we not supposed to do that?

Um, I'll be out back by the bonfire if anyone needs me, but don't act suspicious, they'll see us!

How ridiculous. It's like they're grasping at straws now. And does it not have any bearing on the case that most people pay to listen to XM, so therefore, wouldn't it be similar to paying for Itunes or whatever, and recording what you've paid for? I'm terribly out of the loop on this, so please forgive me if I'm wrong.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

1776?

Hmmmm,

legal devices that allow consumers to listen to and record radio just as the law has allowed for decades.
    Perhaps you guys had better ask the RIAA and MPAA very nicely, pretty please..............and they will let you see a draft of the New Constitution.

Vote them out folks!

What is interesting here is that they are not sueing the people who copy the music but the company who makes the technology available. Of course after this they will start on the internet radio stations and then on other manufactures of equipment that allow you to record broadcasted music. like sony walkmans, hi-fi systems, cd-burners ect.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Talk about ridiculous...almost up there with them suing that 12 year old girl to "make an example".

The whole RIAA and MPAA organizations need to just be bombed and disbanded. It's like Metallica suing everyone (which kinda got it all going I think), including some poor shop owner who owned a rock/gem shop named Metallika (or something similar). It's like "WTF are you doing? She can't pay for the lawyers needed over a name she's had for 12 years so now she has to change it because you're 'irritated' that people get your stuff illegally, even though you're richer than God?"...gah.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Yeah i always found it ironic that it was a heavy metal band like Metallica who were one of the first to start sueing for illegal downloads.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

The RIAA is an example of how some in our society go totally bonkers and money talks over common sense. Most of the RIAA is rich ****ed up liberals who can't stand it when people ignore them and think their limited talent can be applied to all in the form of coercion. They are living in their own world. Unfortunate their chocolate factory collides with out reality.

These new devices are like MP3 players recording the digital stream from sat radio. It's not the same as just recording some crappy FM demodulated signal. They also hold a lot. In some cases hours upon hours of digital format. The RIAA doesn't like someone else stealing their nuts. They like to horde them like greedy little squirrels. And charge top dollar. They don't even like the LARGE percentage per every song on 60 plus channels they get now. Let alone all the FM radio stations, television shows and record sales they get now. When their shitty artists are forced upon the madness of entertainment with little choice. Along comes some innovation and with that, the RIAA hounds of illogical fudge packing.

One device made by Sirius lets you record 3 streams and play them back later. Wow, what a convenient device for the music or entertainment lover. You could listen to programs you normally would never hear, because of schedule or another program playing at the same time. Giving you exposure to other artists and increasing the value of your sat radio subscription that the RIAA is ALREADY getting paid for. Wow, what a concept. Something valuable as an entertainment medium. The RIAA not only shoots their own foot, they are sniping their own balls. Cutting off their own head and I for one will assist. By ONLY paying for INDEPENDENT Cd's and DVDs and subscribing to INDEPENDENT music source on the internet.

I have said it a few times and now once again. RIAA **** YOU. Britney Spears **** you, and Metallica **** You too. I really want to buy your album comming out soon but it will probably suck and if it doesn't bands just as good as you and better would fall over backwards for me to listen to their own stuff without your RIAA ass pokin' pals.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    I am a subscriber to Sirius Satilite radio, and I have a radio that can record and playback approximatly 43 minutes of material. You can't save this material, and after 43 minutes, the audio recorded last is pushed off by the new recording, so you can't listen to the songs you want forever. I don't know if this is the way the other divices work, but there is obviously nothing illegal going on here. Another example of the RIAA being complete idiots, what a surprise.
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

I don't know if this is the way the other divices work, but there is obviously nothing illegal going on here. Another example of the RIAA being complete idiots, what a surprise.

The RIAA is concerned with next gen radios like the Sirius S50. That can record and play back hours of radio on 3 independent streams. Even radios like the "replay" series that only have sort of a large 45 minute buffer.... the RIAA claims tha it violate some sort of "standard" they imposed on the industry. I have a Sportster with only a 4 second buffer but one with 45 minutes would almost eliminate any dropouts. Which would be sweet.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hmmmm,

the RIAA claims tha it violate some sort of "standard" they imposed on the industry
    Time the electorate of the USA "imposed some of their standards" possibly based on the constitution (I will capitalise that when these scum are made to respect its concepts )

I am aware that the constitution refers to the government and people...............well the bloody RIAA act like they were the government (or owned it, which they probably do)?

I would ban the RIAA and give its scum a real hard time for "un-American activities".............like where does your kid get a place in school?............try Mexico?