View Poll Results: Are you using abusins the Karmic Koala?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 40.00%
  • No

3 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper core or stranded wire: cat5 prefrence

Blast From the Past

Question Copper core or stranded wire: cat5 prefrence

Hey all.

today i was crimping a 100ft cable for my friend... and got tired of my copper core wires breaking off trying to get them to crimp... if thoes things bend wrong you get stupid connectivity issues.

SO this is a poll

what do you like better, and why?
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

AOs Resident Troll
    Guess it depends on the install....

I use the flexable-stranded I beleive...mostly...because it can move around things easier.....desks walls etc.....

I think you would use cooper more so for wiring within walls...longer distance and then add a demark or jack for the stranded to plug into.

AFAIK the copper has better performance, but crimps and breaks easier..degrading the signal

When I buy cables for home use or to plug into a jack.....I use stranded....more flexable cable cause I am usually running it around things...desks,walls etc.

My .02 cdn

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

6 of 1, half dozen the other.....

Their both copper.. You mean Solid core or stranded

Solid is best for fixed wiring, and stranded for flyleads.. But...

stranded cable is susceptible to degradation from moisture infiltration, may use an alternate color code, and should not be used for cables longer than 3 Meters (about 10 feet).
    found here: http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable2.htm
    All my home made leads at home and work are Solid core.. only probs I've had is the Person doing the crimp.. has 2 or 3 fail if i havent done a connector for a while.. never had the wire break though..never had to bend the wire more than 30degs while assembling the connector..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I've only crimped stranded... But quite frankly I hate making my own cat 5 cables... Color codes and making sure all the strands are touching the end of the rj-45 connector... big headache for me...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

AOs Resident Troll
    Und3ertak3r brings up a good point though with having to redo the crimps....which I have had to do.....

http://http://compnetworking.about.c...l/blfaq014.htm

Finally, when working with CAT5 cable, it's important to know that several different types of RJ-45 connectors exist. One type, designed for use with stranded cables, generally is incompatible with solid cable. Other types of RJ-45 connectors may work with both stranded and solid CAT5.
    But quite frankly I hate making my own cat 5 cables...
    Crimping cables is definately not one of my fav jobs either

But its a handy skill to know....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Stranded,

But not my favourite occupation...............

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    6 of 1, half dozen the other.....

Their both copper.. You mean Solid core or stranded

Solid is best for fixed wiring, and stranded for flyleads.. But...

found here: http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable2.htm
    All my home made leads at home and work are Solid core.. only probs I've had is the Person doing the crimp.. has 2 or 3 fail if i havent done a connector for a while.. never had the wire break though..never had to bend the wire more than 30degs while assembling the connector..
    Agreed, at least on the first part. Personally I've always thought working with stranded wire was easier since the pairs were already separated...never have had problems with the wire breaking though...got ahold of some cheap stuff? I am wanting to say I experienced problems before using one or the other with Gig-E...I don't remember though if it was b/c it was something with the switch manufacturer or the switch or if it truely was b/c you couldn't use that type...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Blast From the Past
    i have cat5e, so my 300ft spool says.

my problem is when i strip the plastic cover back... i end up acidently grazing one of the wires.. so it has a weak spot.. and when i bend it at all to move the colors around... it breaks off or i get connectivity issues...

and yes.. when i havent crimped in awhile i end up redoing the ends once or twice... kind of a pain.

You need proper tools. Buy a cat5 striper. You'll never "graze" the cable again. Or bend it too put tension on the case and very carfuly press down lightly with a razor blade. Not slicing just pressing. Oh hell buy the stripper. Pick One
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Blast From the Past
    what do you think i use, i have a cat5 stripper and it snips a wire every time without fail.

really... really annoying... so i just use my pocket knife or a razor to strip the plastic shielding... more sucess rate