Thread: "Windows Keyboard" and Linux

"Windows Keyboard" and Linux

Is there any way to make either the Gnome or KDE menu respond when you press the "windows" key on the keyboard? Or, set a key combo such as ctrl+esc will pop up the Gnome or KDE menu?

I like to navigate as much as possible with the keyboard and it doesn't seem that easy if you are in a GUI in linux. Most often than not, I'll use the cli... but still... it would be nice.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hi,
    I use KDE. Alt+F1 is the default to bring up the KDE menu.
    If you use SUSE, go to Personal Setting>Keyboard Shortcuts>Shortcut Schemes
    At the bottom of the screen there is a section called "Shortcut for selected action."
    Click on "Custom Option" and it will let you reassign a different set of keys for a given shortcut.

For example you could do Win+Alt+Z to pop up the KDE menu.
    For some reason though you can't just use the Win key by itself.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Antionline Herpetologist
    Hmm,

I remember that you could use the windows key all by itself way back when KDE 1.x was in vogue. But for some odd reason, since KDE 2.x, it stopped working. Oh well....

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Just pure speculation...

I am with you, the keyboard is much faster than moving a mouse. So this windows key was an extra key from the standard keyboard. That means MS wrote a driver for it. So maybe this driver is propietary and linux can't use it as a Key by itself? Who knows.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hi all,
    Hmm, well when I made my first post in this thread, I just went to the KDE Control Center and fiddled around a little. I posted my findings. But, there is a way to make the Win key pop up the KDE menu just by pressing the Win key.

I searched Google to find it Maybe I should have done that to begin with

KDE directions (First entry on Google)

Gnome Directions (Fourth entry on Google)

I know that the KDE directions work (at least with KDE 3.5.1). Actually, my left Win key does it, but the right one doesn't . I don't have Gnome so you'll have to try that out
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

fluxbox, windows for this machine is Super_L, keycode 0x73:

~/.fluxbox/keys

None Super_L :ExecCommand aterm +sb -tr -shading 50 -foreground white -background black -fade 75 -tint red -fn fixed

Mod1 Super_L :ExecCommand aterm -loginShell -fade 75 -title "remoteMachine" -ls -sl 5000 +sb -tr -fg white -bg black -sh 35 -tint green -fn fixed -e ssh -C -Y -X -l root remotemachine.com

... and so on, with different modifiers used to connect to differend machines, each using a different color aterm.

who needs menus?

edit:

i remember on an old rh box to get this working with blackbox, i had to first map the scancode to the keycode, then map that to Super_L in some xmodmap config file, then use bbkeys to recognise Super_L and launch.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!