Thread: something weird (uname -i gives unkown)

Question something weird (uname -i gives unkown)

Hi folks, i installed the free edition of mandriva (3CD) on my computer. Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-8IPE1000, processor is pentium 4 socket 478 (2.4GHz). RAM 512MB, Video card is SiS 300 (PCI), sound card is 82801EB AC' 97 audio (PCI)

The problem is when i run uname -i it gives me unknown. However uname -a (all) gives everything
    else correct...
    uname -m gives me i686. (OK)
    uname -p gives Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU 2.40 GHZ (OK)
    among the other options which are correct.

Does that mean that it didn't recognise the motherboard? What to do to solve it? Is it dangerous?

--Thank you
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)
    My old skewl http://www.skoz.nl/spelevaert/

Just Another Geek
    From man uname (on fbsd):
    -i Write the kernel ident to standard output.
    Does that mean that it didn't recognise the motherboard?
    No, it means it cannot determine the kernel ident..
    What to do to solve it?
    No idea on Mandriva..
    Is it dangerous?
    I don't think so.. It's just a name tag..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Wait a minute, my version of uname is different, uname -i is hardware platform.

Yours is BSD, im running mandriva

check it out
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)
    My old skewl http://www.skoz.nl/spelevaert/

Just Another Geek
    Ah.. Ok.. Great

Looking at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ch&sa=N&tab=gw it seems "normal" and isn't a Mandriva thing.. Looks like more distros seem to have this "bug"...
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hey Dice how's stuff?

I've been trying to help him with this in PM but I don't have a 64 bit Processor, or Mandriva installed so it was a bit hard for me. I recommended to him that he use Uname to check his Kernel version with -a and he was playing with Uname for other info and got worried as I would have when it came back with unkown.

This was because he wanted to recompile his Kernel and do some other stuff so I told him about the command to get info.

I remember when I was a Linux newbie and something didn't work I'd freak out and reinstall.

So far my recommendation was to join a Mandriva list so he could talk to them about it there and get more help than what I could give him.

I'm running SUSE 9.3 Professional on this machine and all of the commands worked fine for me so I didn't know what to do as I couldn't get the same error at all.

If that's a bug a lot of distros seem to have HM, I don't think you should worry much. You may want to ask again on the list if they have fixed it yet though.

I have SUSE, Slackware, and Free BSD here and none of th em seem to be affected by it.

From what I understand you may want to check out what I said in PM, which is SlamD. Someone told me it was a Slackware port to 64 bit. Not official, but I've heard good things about it on a Slackware list I'm on.