Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake USB's

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Fake USB's

Hi gals / guys

A friend of mine visited China few days back...... and saq that they have USB over there with the sizes 8GB 16 GB and even 20 GB...... Now when he investigate about them he came to know that they have some sort of software that upgrade 2.0 GB USB in such a way that upon pluging into the computer it shows the desire size, and when you try to copy data exceeding 2 GB size it will not only show you exact size i.e. 2 GB rather there is a good possibility the USB get damage and you can't even use it.

What else he told me that he saq eleven different Kingston companies over there can you believe this?..... So many fake products are being made over there, not a single one of them is original......

But still people buy there product why? Is Money that matter these days and no people are compromising on Reliability and performance?
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Hey FanacooL ,

How many genuine copies of MS Windows do you think that there are in China?

Well to be true about Windows, i think they might have more genuine copies than those back in my country
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

What type of software they might be using for this USB thing?

This is a pure guess my friend:

USB and HDD drives have a sector on them that tells the BIOS what they are supposed to be.

I suppose if you put incorrect information in there, that is what gets reported?

I am basing that on putting 120Gb or bigger drives in PCs, and the BIOS recognises it immediately. There is no way that it scans it first, it just accepts the data off the drive?

Originally posted here by nihil
    This is a pure guess my friend:

USB and HDD drives have a sector on them that tells the BIOS what they are supposed to be.

I suppose if you put incorrect information in there, that is what gets reported?

I am basing that on putting 120Gb or bigger drives in PCs, and the BIOS recognises it immediately. There is no way that it scans it first, it just accepts the data off the drive?

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I belive that's non-modifiable information. On HDDs isn't it stored on the flash chip on the circuit board? And doesn't the USB spec have something about making identification info non-changeable in a similar manner? Just thininking about all the USB devices there are, if you plug them in, the computer "magically" knows what the device is, I'm assuming because of hardwired coding. I could be wrong on this, but this is my understanding. Correct my if I'm in error.

netRealm

I think that you are right, well that is my understanding also.

If they have created a fake device, I would expect that it lies to the BIOS as well?

We are looking at a total physical fake here, are we not?

Ah, ok, I just misread your post. Looks like we were saying the same thing just in slightly different words. Yup, I'd agree, totally fake through and through, most likely because it gives incorrect info to the BIOS.

If they are enterig the false information to the BIOS then how come later it shows the exact info. I mean the real size....... And is it possible to check whether its true capacity the drive is showing or just a fake one Other than storing data in it.

Hey Hey,

It's entirely possible that it is a 2GB drive (They're fairly common) and it is using something similar to Stacker...

although... There are 8GB and 16GB Flash drives... Here's the first link that came up in a google search (http://www.supermediastore.com/usb-f...pen-drive.html). So it's entirely possible that they really are that large and your friend screwed up trying to use it.

Peace,
    HT