Thread: trying to overclock ... heat adhesive

Banned

trying to overclock ... heat adhesive

what is the best way to remove the heat sink adhesive from an chip

i already popped off the sink itself bu the old (i mean old) adhesive is holding like crazy

(it's not heat-paste , but ADHESIVE)

anyone

Harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Having briefly considered banning my mate unhappy for blatant "equipment abuse" (we don't tolerate that sort of stuff in "hardware")

I decided that this is a valid moan. Basically mate, you had a heatsink with a THERMAL PAD stuck to its bum. That is the nasty "adhesive" that you are now faced with.

The problem is that they have made all the decent solvents illegal!

Your best bet is to get some isopropyl alcohol and some nail varnish remover (I know you have some of that in your locker )............ errrr "acetone"

It may well take a while to remove a well cooked thermal pad. Do take your time though, as scorification of the base of the HS will be totally suboptimal.

My advice is to get a new HS and some Arctic Silver paste, Then all you have to do is clean the crap off the top of the CPU?

Whatever you do PLEASE only use solvents in a WELL VENTILATED area

Thanks, Johnno

Banned
    dear old chap nihil, it must be a lack of lucidity in my hurried words that that has violated usually clairvoyant pathways of your neurons...

this unspeakable substance holds onto the GPU (yes it's a Video Card) the way Michael Jackson onto a little hand of a 10 year old (boy, that is)

it is in fact not a thermal pad offspring like on the bottom of these little babies

but more of a industrial creature as in here

will acetone suffice or should I "be nice and gentle"

i do not care for the HS since the poor bastard has cooling capability of a XBox 360...

just want to make the surface of GPU ready for some liver thermal pase (or the right way to do things)

Hey unhappy ,

Terribly sorry mate, I completely misunderstood you.............I thought that it was your CPU not your graphics chip!

Yes, I guess that you are looking at adhesive rather than thermal compound.

I would certainly try acetone, and methylated spirits, and lighter fluid (petrol). Automobile brake cleaning fluid can work (please be careful, it contains benzine).

After that, a heavy duty paint stripper such as Nitromors might work. Sorry, I don't know what country you are in, so I cannot suggest brand names.

You might get a better result if you very gently rub the surface with a fine glass paper first. This will break any "heat seal" that may have formed and allow solvents to penetrate.

Basically, I would attack it with whatever comes to hand until I found one that works

Your biggest problem would be if it is an epoxy resin based adhesive?

I know that Arctic Silver make a removal fluid, but I have never used it, so I don't know what it is or how well it works.

The secret is to only apply a very small amount of fluid until you find one that works

You might try contacting the video card manufacturer?