Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my parents got pawned ... root kit

Banned

my parents got pawned ... root kit

i found this on the system.

usual symptoms ... weird processes that won't go down ... all around slow

what can i do to kill processes that i know are rootkit servers but even though i'm an admin it won't let me ...

i mean there's gotta be SOMETHING i can do to kill them (short of boot in linux and deleting them)

good luck with the mess... remember to clear the
    prefetch
    system save files
    temp files
    boot into safe mode
    scan for trojans/viruses

use this utility:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsKill.html

That is the answer to how to kill the crap. make sure you get spybot and adaware downloaded and updated before you start the adventure
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

what i have seen in such cases that the system never attains the same performance after the removal of rootkit or anyother malicious code. The best case would be to make a backup of the data and try to make a fresh install.

Just my thoughts
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

You might want to tell everyone upfont
    That zip file contains a RootKit

( not just imply it. ) I know, everyone should know better, and it is zipped so it shouldn't create a problem unless they open it and run it, but you know how that goes ... someone will infect their system!

Trend Micro identifies it as BKDR_HACDEF.GEN

Spyrus's suggestion about PsKill should kill the process ( I don't have a box to infect to find out ) but there may be other files that spawned it still there lurking. Try Trend's solution at the link above, and if that doesn't work ... there's always mmkhan's solution.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Originally posted here by Spyrus

... remember to clear the ...

system save files ...
    I know about the others, but where are the system save files in XP Pro? I have only one partition. Is it something to do with Page File? I know that I can clear that as a "one off" (I don't routinely clear it on close down).

Howdy..

Oh my you can get this root kit in the AO downloads section, it's an old old skiddy tool, nearly all AV's will pick it up..

Other then that i would get them to do a fresh install at least then you can have a little more confidence that the problem should be gone...

f2B

Banned
    how could something like this get on their system

they are swearing up and down that they didn't d/l and ran anything

could it be becasue of the lack of running windows update or via web pages w/ malicious active x or such

Well, if they didn't patch against the good old WMF vuln that definately could have been an attack vector for a hacker.

Blast From the Past
    thats the beauty *and downfall* of windows and software in general...

you dont always have to click "yes" to run something.

would you belive this.. once i bought an off brand NIC for a comp i was building... the driver disc came with spyware... killed my system..

so that shows ANYTHING can be a potential ticking bomb...

Do your parents share pictures with friends/family over email? I have seen infected computers latch there virus onto pictures in the past.
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Nowadays anything can be a vector for a virus, especially if you're unpatched. It pays to stay up to date.

I recommend you reinstall windows and turn on Automatic Updates for a start, then install some kind of security suite software, I personally like ZoneAlarm Security Suite, but most of them are pretty good.