windows 64

Thread: windows 64

windows 64

hi all,
    i have gotten in my hand windows 64 pro. installation disk. unfortunately the only computer i can install it on is my one and only laptop. As from the horrors of my past experience, i am a little doubtful.

now, if i install it. i lose the factory restoration set up by the company (gateway). this is because the F11 (recovery options) stop showing during the start up. my question is, as all the recovery data is stored in d drive (which is not getting formatted), i should be able to format again and come back to the initial settings which is windows xp home.

but if the operating system is upgraded, will it allow the system to downgrade to windows xp, or not?

as i have already created the rescue disk. will i be able to force the installation from there ?

what do you guys think? is it worth the risk?
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

what do you guys think? is it worth the risk?
    Not on your only lappy mate. I don't like the idea of messing with branded OEM stuff at all these days, and particularly lappies.

If you have a desktop, look at getting a removable HDD caddy and a spare HDD. You can't do any damage that way

alright then,

lets see.........

windows cd---check
    support--check
    people to try it--check
    time--check
    machine--no check

who has the machine around here on which i can try..........
    thanx

cheers

Well the normal answer would probably be VMWare, but it is still in the development stage for XP 64, unfortunately.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/app...9194710,00.htm

My laptop was OEM for about 5 minutes before I got a hold of it. Ghost it once or twice right out of the box.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

That is a good point RoadClosed it would be my "backup strategy"

As for loading another Windows OS, particularly 64bit, I would certainly look at VMWare...........I don't trust those shared files and stuff

nihil,

i finally managed to fix his comp. it was hell of a work but eventually managed. had major troubles getting the drivers recognised.

got the cd back and distroyed it.

Hi bagggi , yeah mate, I have heard a few horror stories myself. That is why I was very cautious.

I am lucky in that I have a number of older machines that I can run as "labrats", and I have a couple of boxes with removable HDDs.

I use RoadClosed's technique of the ghost or image so I can quickly reset them for the next test/experiment. I also like VMWare.

//jk

got the cd back and distroyed it.
    I do hope you had a minister of religion present?.............. it had the "mark of the Gates" on it...........

$$$

//