Securing my Ipod
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Securing my Ipod

Securing my Ipod

I finally jumped on the banwagon and bought me an Ipod Nano, which I will have to say I use more than I thought I would (maybe the thrill of it being new hasn't worn off yet ). But anyway, I am in college right now and happen to live in the dorm rooms. Now seeing how any Ipod device is so compact and portable it is the prime number 1 target for theft at this school.

After my friend's was stolen, I started to wonder if there could be any counter-measures that could be taken to put my mind at ease. One of the first thing that popped into my head was a trojan(or something like it) that could be installed onto the Ipod by me, and when or if it is plugged into a different computer, it could send me an email with important information as to help me find where it was.(such as IP, computer name...what-have-you)

Now I don't know much about the Ipod or for that matter trojan's. So I was just wondering if this was at all possible?

I dont know if the technique you are trying to use would work... if you find a way to do it let me know I would be interested in the same Idea. I dont think i would refer to as a trojan so much as a theft notification application.

I guess the best measures are going to be to always keep it on you and for your dorm you might consider purchasing a small safe. As I know in most dorm environments you leave the door open almost all the time. Or configure a way to put a lock on your desk drawer and keep a key on you so you can throw you stuff into the desk. When you are out and about general awareness is what you need to remember. If you put something down for a matter of seconds it can get legs and jump into someones pocket. Purchase one of those arm bands and just keep the damn thing strapped to you. ohh and for the winter time think geek has a sweet fleece that has internal pockets for things like iPods.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

I have seen software for PCs that work along those lines. They quietly "phone home" if you connect from the wrong place or whatever.

I have not heard of anything for an Ipod though.

Good Evening,

I'm confident programs like you are describing are forthcoming if not already coded awaiting release.

Because they are so portable, small, and have such huge storage capacities, I believe they will become/are fast becoming - one of the biggest overall threats to computer security. Just ask yourself, "How many users have IPODs?" It will be interesting to observe the future development of IPOD Security.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hey hey,

What you are describing is indeed possible... Think AutoStart (Like CDs)... My Western Digital USB HDD used to have it (before I wiped it) and it would execute a few stupid things at start-up... my USB Thumb drive came with encryption software that I can set up in the autostart...

You've inspired me... I've now got two days off with nothing to do (Last night and today were dedicated to the gf.. but now she has work to do which leaves me free)... I've got a few projects I wanted to start.. but I'll do this instead... Prolly wouldn't take me more than a few minutes... an hour tops... when I've found the time to start it (We're about to watch a movie), i'll do it up and post it when complete... I'm debating between two options right now..

A) Using the Outlook API... This will require that they have outlook setup and they'll see it send when they open outlook. They may also get a pop-up saying another program is attempting to use outlook and asking if they want to block it.. I'll have to experiment and see if I can avoid that or if it happens.

B) Use gmail and have it send through gmail... You'd need to create a gmail account just for this purpose and store the credentials along side the program on the drive... but if you used generic stuff (We could even encrypt it).. it'd do the trick..

I'll think it over... I'm thinking fairly basic..

Send an email with:
    i) Username
    ii) Realname
    iii) IP Address
    iv) Computer Name
    v) Not sure.

Peace
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Even with this software your Ipod won't be all that secure...

Scenario:

The Duck steals Phalse's Ipod. Phalse doesn't worry about it because he knows he should get an email in a little bit, telling him all the good info about my computer. Phalse waits and waits and is getting worried because it's been days and no email!

I'll let you guys in on a not-so-secret technique I used... I wiped the Ipod using a computer with no internet connection!!

Moral of the story? The best Ipod security technique is to keep it on you or in a safe at all times... And not a portable safe either, those things are pointless ...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Blast From the Past
    too bad you cant write a program that configures with iTunes... plug in your ipod and type a password... lets you read/write/modify your ipod...

without password its junk.. and after so many trys it encrypts the filetable so only the program can decrypt it within a human amount of time. think someone would pay for that?

and im positive there is a way around that... it would be enough to keep afew people from stealing it... but desperate people are desperate people
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Originally posted here by The Duck
    Even with this software your Ipod won't be all that secure...

Scenario:

The Duck steals Phalse's Ipod. Phalse doesn't worry about it because he knows he should get an email in a little bit, telling him all the good info about my computer. Phalse waits and waits and is getting worried because it's been days and no email!

I'll let you guys in on a not-so-secret technique I used... I wiped the Ipod using a computer with no internet connection!!

Moral of the story? The best Ipod security technique is to keep it on you or in a safe at all times... And not a portable safe either, those things are pointless ...
    Of course that's the best technique.. but let's think about this.... This is a college theft problem.. .every computers connected to the network 24/7... and then let's look at this again.. petty theft isn't usually performed my criminal masterminds or computer geeks... This isn't highly confidential information... it's an ipod.. they're going to steal it and possibly sell it as it is... the person who buys it will plug it into their computer... and with the number of high speed connections these days.. the odds are pretty good that their online...

Besides this is the principal of a good chunk of the software on the market...

/me wonders why some people are always so against basic ideas...especially common place ideas...

Let me guess you're against AV because you could write a new virus that isn't detected... and you are against firewalls because they could be vuln to an unknown remote exploit???

Peace,
    HT

and yes.... I'm in the mood to be a bit of a dick this evening
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

HT~

Send an email with:
    i) Username
    ii) Realname
    iii) IP Address
    iv) Computer Name
    v) Not sure.

I seem to recall that they send the telephone number and possibly the ISP password. Not sure about the MAC addy?

I guess it varies from country to country?

Over here it is a lot quicker for the police to track a phone number than an IP address. I can see it being rather more difficult if it is coming from shared student accommodation

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Let me guess you're against AV because you could write a new virus that isn't detected... and you are against firewalls because they could be vuln to an unknown remote exploit???
    Actually... Yes...

But in all seriousness though, Not once did I say I was against the software. Granted, there are a lot of people that know NOTHING about computers that would steal an Ipod. And the software would work in that case. But word will get out that people are putting these "theft notification software" on their Ipod's and it won't be long before the workaround is publicly available on the internet.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools