Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux (Ubuntu) Problem with Connecting to Net

Question Linux (Ubuntu) Problem with Connecting to Net

I recently got my hot little hands on Ubuntu and I partitioned my hard drive to make sure that Ubuntu is for me (so I wouldn't lose everything).

It works beautifully with one exception: I can't connect to the internet!

I am using DSL (more specifically SBC-Yahoo DSL) and they are not to friendly to Linux. I am also installing this on an emachine.

I don't know if that makes any difference though (I haven't changed a thing on it).

This is my first experience with Linux, so I don't really know too much about it (sadly). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Exactly what happens when you try to connect? Any kind of error messages? Does anything happen at all?

Please give whatever information you can.

Also, try this:
    At a command prompt

1) /sbin/ifconfig
    2) look for an entry called inet addr:
    Is there a number there? That should be your IP address.

Actually, if you haven't done anything to try to set it up, you probably need to do this first.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I have the DSL connection physically installed fine and dandy; though when I try to go to SBC's site (the http://192.168.1.1 address) it gives me a "failure to connect" as though it timed out or weren't physically connected at all.

I set the Eth0 to be DHCP and rebooted then tried again, with the same result.

I'm still fiddling round with the ISP address in the /sbin/ifconfig folder, though I may be able to get it.

Hi,
    /sbin/ifconfig isn't a folder; it's a command. Give it at a command prompt. Just trying to see if you have an ip address.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I'm relatively new to this Linux stuff, so forgive me for my bumbling around :P

There were two fields, one for eth0 and the other for lo.

Eth0 gave me "inet6addr: fe80::213:d3ff:fee7:9b6a/64 Scope: local".

Lo gave me "inet6addr: 127.0.0.1 mask: 255.0.0.0".
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

Hi,
    There is not an entry that just says under eth0: inet addr: ? Not inet6 addr but just inet addr:

It should say something like this: inet addr: 62.123.22.12 (I made that one up).

Not for eth0, but let me double check that field especially carefully.
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

edit

Hi,
    Please delete your last post. It gives information that probably doesn't need to be public. Just needed to know if you had an ip address, which you don't. Probably the best thing you can do right now is post about this in the Ubuntu forums. And if you're going to be using Ubuntu, you will find plenty of other information to help you there on other topics. Sorry I couldn't help.

Hey Hey,

Do you connect to a router first, or directly to the DSL? I'm guessing you're using a router.. judging by the 192.168.1.1 that you're trying to go to...

root@tr-laptop:/dev# ifconfig eth0 eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:01:6C:E9:3C:97
    inet addr:192.168.1.103 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::201:6cff:fee9:3c97/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:45605 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:41719 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:4527 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:29120079 (27.7 MiB) TX bytes:3774993 (3.6 MiB)
    Interrupt:16
    I've bolded the address... It's a private address.. meaning it's assigned by my router... You should end up with a similar address if you're using a router.. especially if it's 192.168.1.1 you're trying to access.. Your address would be 192.168.1.XXX.

However, if you have to use a dialer to conncet to your dsl from Windows.. then you need to setup that same dialer connection in Ubuntu... unfortunately if you're unsure of the basic commands it'd be fairly difficult to help you...

some suggestions..

Ensure you have a proper physical connect (Check the lights on the NIC or boot Windows and ensure connectivity)..
    Determine if you're direct to yoru DSL or through a router..
    use lsmod to check that your NIC driver is loaded and appropriate...
    try ifup and ifdown to activate your network connection..

Peace,
    HT