Thread: Military Programming Jobs

Talking Military Programming Jobs

Just lettin you guys know I joined the Army about 3 days ago and wanted to know If there is any future with me and programming as a job in the Army. I am familiar with Perl, Python and both C and C++ and I know for a fact I want to either deal with programming or IT security. So if anyone here has been in the Army or Military for that matter and can give me some advice as to what my options are it would help me out a long way. And yes, I do know there is also a possibility that I won't get to do anything computers.
    \"They have the internet on computers now?\"

Hi,

My experience would suggest that there is little scope as a programmer..........you are dealing with the military, and they outsource everything?

Security, fine..........you have the clearances?

Programming is possible in the "office" side of .mil but it would be a real dead-end

I have done the "office" side (DBM) for our .mil (United Kingdom) and I am suspecting that you guys are similar?

If you get anything, it is going to be crumbs off the table.

Cheers

Learn Ada ? Heh heh heh...

Seriously, I don't know if they require that it be used anymore or but they certainly used to...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Well Nihil you just confirmed my worst fears and yes, it is almost the same here in the States. But hey at least I'll be able to do my own thing on the side. Thanks for the info.

Learn Ada ? Heh heh heh...

Seriously, I don't know if they require that it be used anymore or but they certainly used to...
    What's ADA??? lol

Yeah... Nihil is correct the U.S. military out sources "all" programming jobs. Most of them go to believe it or not lockhead martin. They use them and another company. I can't think of the name of the place right now. I used to have to call both places on a regular basis when I was in the Navy.

You are pretty S.O.L. on the programming. (Though I did hear that if you are good you can get a company to pick up your billet and bring you on to help out while you are in the military.)

As for IT stuff. Now that is a completely different story. Your job will decide that. You and your classifier should of talked about that before you signed your paperwork. You are now infantry. Which really sucks for you. You can still try to get designated for the job that you want. You just have to bust ass. Anyway... to put it simply you got screwed. You can however break your contract before you leave for bootcamp. Your recruiter will tell you that it isn't possible but there is a clause that allows you to. (Trust me... I helped many a person get out of the military because of clauses that no one knows about.)

I say talk to your recruiter and find out if you can change. If you really wanted to work in IT you should of chose the Navy or Air Force. They are the smarter of the 4 branches. (Coast Guard doesn't count.)

Originally posted here by ViRalNeXxUs
    What's ADA??? lol
    http://www.engin.umd.umich.edu/CIS/c...0/ada/ada.html

Hmm,
    As part of your enlistment terms is the Army going to give you money for college? Well, anyway, no matter what you are doing while in the Army (unless you are in a combat zone) you will have off time. Study as much as you can. It may be possible to take courses while you are serving.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Yes I made sure I was going to continue school for the most part and they would pay for it, which is going to help me

out BIG time. I know you guys know how much books, tuition etc... is. I have 1 speeding ticket pending so I still

have to get that cleared which is why I haven't gotten assigned my job yet. I even scored a 68 on the ASVAB which I

studied my butt off for, math always gets me. Not trying to sound too much like a nerd but most of my days and

nights are spent reading Programming books, tutorials, forums and basically whatever I can get my hands on. So I

guess even if I don't get a job dealing with IT I can always have it on my free time. Thank you all for the nice

feedback. In all I think this will be a good experience though.