Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Active Directory New Issue

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Well the problem has been resolved.....

We have a new server which will be up by monday..... all i did was copied the AD into that server as it will be replacing the one we are currently using...... Is it to do something with copying the AD..... although the new one is not online yet.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

How are you planning to do this migration? Are you just going to power off the old DC? I wouldnt think you could just copy everything over to a new server like they were data files due to security rights on the SID's etc. Someone is more than happy to correct me if I am wrong.

I would be more inclined to promote the new server as another DC let it sit for X amount of time. Roll all the FSMO roles over to the new DC and then power down the old DC to see if everything still works correctly. If it doesnt then you can bring the old one back up. But with the way AD is constructed when you promote the new DC it should copy all the settings and in turn become its own box. Then when you move the FSMO roles over to it the old server should be nothing more than another DC which you could demote and take offline.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

As i said AD is already been copied, I will promot the new server in the Domain and yes will let it work for a while with the old present......

Thanx for the advice.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Just thought you might like a tool specifically designed for migrating AD. Maybe not this time, but for future migrations? In any event, check ADMT 3.0 out:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Fanacool
    When you say you copied the AD into the other server what do you mean by that?
    Normally when you are inserting a new server into the domain you have nothing to copy. You just do a DCpromo and let windows copy the ad and roles to the new server. You may need to verify that the roles are copied properly and that in "sites and services"(i think) the syncronisation is working. You can also check that easily in the event viewer. Also if you have the option I would keep the two servers on line. Of course that depends on if it is a buisness domain, your personnel network or a school lab. If it is a buisness domain I would recomened the two DC. For the other options 1 is ok.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Since English is not my first language so sometimes my responeses looks vague and boggling.... I mean i migrated the AD and other things to the new server. Exactly this what i did, selected it a memeber of existing domain and AD users and policies got copied in it.... Both will be running for some time and when i feel that things are running ok i will take out the old one and let this be working..... Not completly take out the old one rather prmote the new one ...... It is a business envoirnment... runnnig two DC ..... whts the advantage?

Dont worry about your level of english it is good enought to explain what you need. There are two big advantages to having two DC. The first one is load balancing. Both of client machines and for the different services that may be running in your enviroment. The second and most important one if your company is dependant on its IT infrastructure is to avoid a sinlge point of failure. That is if one of your DC dies then the other one is still running so your users can still log on and work.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

So it will be running as a BDC, and if the main Primary gets fail this will be still running and giving services to the internal users....... But One thing...... How can i achieve the same thing for external users (the users that access my application server via Internet).... I mean is there a possibility that i can provide the same sort of backup thing to them too.