Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Will Not Boot

The heatsink has no fan, an interesting kind of heatsink that is supposed to be wonderful, but I don't think it's working so well with my setup, maybe that's the issue... I'll try a different PSU next, and if that's not the problem, I'm going to be replacing that heatsink with another.

I cleaned out the PSU, still nothing.

As for the motherboard bending, unfortunately it is possible, but how could I test that? It was nothing significant, but I am slightly worried because of how fragile things like this can be.

Thank you nihil for your insight.

Hi there ScotchGuy ,

Without a lab environment, you cannot really test a PCB other than visually.

The reason I made the point is that MoBos (PCBs) get brittle with age.........an example is the classic "dry joint" problem with the ones in domestic appliances.

I strongly suspect this new "heatsink" at this point.............what make and model is it?

As you have the board out in the open now, I would suggest that the test would be to put the old heatsink and fan back on? if that fails it would suggest the MoBo issue? If not, then it must be the heatsink.

Please make sure that you use decent thermal compound such as Arctic Silver. Silver based compounds are 20x (2000%) more efficient than the traditional "white gunk"

Good luck!

I have the Swiftech MCX462-V: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...mcx462v/1.html

It's supposed to be great, oh also, a few minutes ago when I tried turning it on once again there was some smoke and a burning smell... that was worrisome, fried processor? I've been having the same problems before and after that happened.

I'll try out the old heatsink tomorrow, I'm pretty tired at the moment.

ScotchGuy

Please look at this (from your link):

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...mcx462v/2.html

You will notice the 4 pillars with the holes on top of their "feet"? That is where you were supposed to mount the FAN

It does mention some fan models that are compatible, as well?

I am afraid that you have seen the "magic smoke"...................................

EDIT:

Once again:

Although the MCX462-V is compatible with all 462-socket motherboards, careful attention must be given during its installation.With its massive weight and solid composition, a rush install can seriously damage the CPU and motherboard.At first try, it was a bit difficult to mount the MCX462-V to our motherboard
    and:

Any wrong move or slip can easily result in damage to the motherboard
    I wish you luck, but, if the worst comes to the worst you have a nice case and heatsink for your new project?

If you really want silent cooling you need to look at water or even better a Peltier

Yeah, the weird/funny thing is the processor didn't fry until after I put the fan on... anyway, it looks like I'll be needing a new processor, so I might as well get a new motherboard too, but I'm going to wait on that, and just use a laptop I'm getting soon as my desktop replacement, thanks everyone for their help in this terrible problem of mine.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Was the fan spinning when it fried???? Did you plug the fan into the motherboard so it can get power?? Part of YOUR problem is you don't know how to be descriptive and give detailed information...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Hi ScotchGuy

Bad luck mate! I am aware that this is fundamentally a security site, but it is a place where people help eachother, which is why we have forums for different subjects.

I am gutted that we were not informed in time to possibly help.............yeah, I know, we all have 20/20 superior hindsight

Please try your kit in its old configuration; there is maybe a 1:1000 chance that you got lucky?

Good luck