Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers disapeared??

Drivers disapeared??

Hi guys, long time no post, I've gone back to work now, and time is at a premium.

I have a little problem here though, the drivers folder in winnt and all its contents, where the hosts file is kept has just gone bye bye on my laptop, it is a windows 2000 machine. It has totally disappeared, and is not in the recycle bin or anywhere. Does this mean a new install is needed, or is there a way of getting it back?

I had this problem with a folder disappearing once before, but as it was only mp3 files, it was not really a problem. This however is a bit of a pain, as it won't connect to the net anymore, Any ideas?

Kind regards

Floppy soppy Frond
    Sarcasm is a way of life

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    My internet connection is being a POS right now so I cant give you the direct link but check this out and see if it helps. support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235478
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AOs Resident Troll
    another thing you can try...is remove all networking...reboot....then reinstall,

nic
    tcp\ip
    windows network client

you may will need the w2k disk

Then get your updates

The machine still boots...right???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Disappeared meaning gone-zo and the OS no longer functions properly? Or does disappeared mean just out of view and the file folder's attributes were changed to hidden?

My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View Tab > Hidden files/folders heading pick Show hidden files and folders. Also uncheck hide protected OS files option > Yes > OK.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

OK, it is not the folder options. I was just wandering around as you do when you learn, and looking at what files were where, and I was looking at where the hosts file was and why, and when I went out of the drivers folder back into the winnt folder, the drivers folder had disappeared.

I think as my laptop is a little old, there is a little bit of corruption in there now. Problem is, when I bought it, they would not give me the windows 2k disk, only a recovery one.

I have windows xp, but am not keen on reinstallling OS, and will only do it as a last resort (bad experience in the past).

Nothing else seems to be amiss though, just this and the fact that I can no longer get on the internet with it. It is my only secure internet link too, so will have to get it going somehow.

What is actually in the Drivers folder, and is there anywhere I can get the setup files for that bit and put it back?

Kind regards

Jonnolobby Flobbadob

P.S. Mr Texan is nearest the money, only missing one point......my incompetence.
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Hello Jonny...............long time no insult

Drivers in Windows 2000 huh?

That should be:

C:\WINNT\Driver Cache\i386
    C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\.............

I can't quite figure your problem though, unless you inadvertently moved the folder into another one, a la drag & drop?

If the internet is your only problem, then it sounds like the modem is not working? try going into hardware management and reinstalling the driver and then the hardware if that doesn't work...... search for driver, look for driver details or whatever..............that should tell you if you have moved the folder?

Do a diagnostics on your modem.

I would certainly do a full surface scan on your HDD............laptop + old + heat =

//Memo to Bill Gate$:

Make sure you have the Frondypooh detector in Vista set to full scale sensitivity............you know........the bit where it reboots at every keystroke //

C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\.............
    This is the file that no longer exists. How can I replace it?
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Could you have accidentally moved it?

Try looking for .sys files on your system?

AOs Resident Troll
    I used to do this with NT boxes....is grab the directory off a working machine and drop it onto the one it is not working.....same path...

Both machines have to be the same os and sp level....and I remember trying something similar with 2000 many moons ago...which didnt work

Have you tried a repair...or a install on top of the existing one...but I guess you need a disk..

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AFLAAACKKK!!
    You may also consider trying a system restore... You'd be surprised how many problems that fixes... Alot of people tend to underestimate system restore...

Oh, scratch that idea... I'm not sure windows 2000 has system restore...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools