Formating Hard disk with Windows XP

Thread: Formating Hard disk with Windows XP

Formating Hard disk with Windows XP

Hi All,

I have 2 PC's that I am trying to format and reinstall Windows XP on. We had a person who used to manage the network for us but he just vanished and we do not have any of the adminstration passwords. The computers have viruses, are slowing down enormously and we need to just format them and re-install XP so that we can start using these PC's again.

Could someone help us if it is possible to do this by outlining the steps we need to take?

Thanks in advance.

AOs Resident Troll
    You will need the XP disks...

Put the disk into the cdromm and boot from cd...

when it asks you if you want to install...or repair the existing xp install ..pick install.

It will then ask if you want to keep the existing file system ...or format...

Chose format.....ntfs....voila

this site has screen shots

http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_..._-_graphic.htm

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Make sure you have double checked that you have backed up all your data before you take the plunge.
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Make sure that you update your Windows afterwards, and that you have a firewall before you connect to the internet.

VERY IMPORTANT

Check that your system clocks/calendars are accurate BEFORE visiting the Microsoft update site. You might have to replace the CMOS RTC battery

I know that sounds silly, but there is a design flaw in MS's "Genuine Advantage" software that will flag your copies of XP as pirate if your clock is too far out. AFAIK this is NOT easily rectified

Good luck!

Good Evening,

Additionally life would not be complete without a boot disk, drivers, .dll's, and other utilities if you find yourself in a real jam with windows.

Boot Disks

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. I have gone as far as getting the XP cd in and booting. It asks me for the administrator passwords which I do not have to do anything with the PC. How do I get round this? Is there a way to force format or something without the administrative password?

Thanks

Hello old chap,

I think that it will be asking you to tell it a password..............please make it complex, and write it down....

Try something like the top row of the keyboard in upper case then an easily remembered "password" then the top row in lowercase.

I assume that you have administrator rights, and that this is your machine?

Sounds like a Repair install was attempted ..that is the one that will ask for the Passwords BEFEORE the options to Install/Formatt etc

FOr me I reboot the PC with the XP CD in the drive..

WATCH for prompts like "Boot from Harddrive or CD" and be sure to select the correct option (CD please)

As mentioned earlier.. The display will give you some options.. Select Continue to Install (DO NOT at any time select REPAIR)..
    WHen you get to the Hard Drive setup options..ie Where do you want to install windows..
    BEst if you delete the existing C: partition (You may want to as questions here if there are more than one drive option)
    Then Create a new partition..
    Then follow the advice eralier..
    that is select NTFS when the Formatt question arrises..
    AND certainly remember Nihils advice when you get to the question for the Admin Password..

Like to continue here ..but I si off for my shift at work.. -2 here this morning.. (ahhh sunny Queensland)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Thanks guys for all your replies. Nihil, I do not have administrator rights. The person who used to administer the systems disappeared. The 2 computers I am trying to fix are on the brink of crashing. We unplugged them from the network because they have viruses but we can't even update the anti-virus as we need administrator rights to install anything.

AOs Resident Troll
    Format, install XP and create a new admin password.....done

Will fix everything

If the machine has been compromised....sometimes that is the surest way to fix it.

MHO...as always

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer