Gun Laws in Texas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Laws in Texas

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Gun Laws in Texas

Now that im 21 im considering getting a CHL ( concealed handgun license) I do live in Texas and we have our fair share of crazy people just like everywhere. Spare me the parental lecture please, I have parents for that anyway im just considering... anyone have any links for me? comments? thanks alot

p.s. Does anyone know if Texas has a law similar to Florida's Stand Your Ground Law? that is the law saying you can shoot someone dead if they break into your house. I think we do but im not sure. Thanx again.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

I don't do my own homework, yet alone, someone else's. Hope this helps.

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys.../gunlaw_tx.htm
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

ya it does thanx... I was just thinking maybe I should get on the Texas State website and see how to apply for a CHL that might help lol
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Learn to use it....

Learn _when_ to lock and load...

Learn _exactly_ when you can pull the trigger before you have it in hand and are all scared... More friends and family members are killed by gun owners who fail to ID their target before popping off at it than any other fatalities...

It's not that people have guns that bothers me... It's the fact that most of them have no idea when, how and why they use them....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    There is a scene in the movie Crash.....heart wrenching....where you can see how easy accidents with guns can happen.

I recommend that movie to everyone....BTW

I think Tiger is right...as always

Learn to use it.........

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Tiger, I have been hunting with my dad since I was 8 years old but didnt kill my first buck til 10 anyway the point is I have taken the required gun safety course, I know the laws and how to safely handle a weapon. If I did get this pistol it would be safely locked up at home for personal protection, I MAY take it out on occision but there is alot of places you cant take a gun such as bars,schools etc... anyway im just looking into getting a permit.

edit/ Crash was a really good movie. Don Cheadle gave a great performance IMO.

double edit/ Goodluck with the adoption Tiger
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

No offense Tex.... I think you miss my point... You state you will primarily use it for home protection... I state more friends and relatives are killed by persons with guns... I failed to make the whole point that it is in "home invasion" situations. So... allow me to scribble it out in full...

Facts:-

1. When a home is invaded, (entered by a foreign party or parties), the home owner believes that, since it is their home, that they have the advantage.

2. In almost _every_ home it is painfully obvious where the homeowner will be at any time of day, (especially at night when most invasions take place), the moment the intruder enters.

3. Thus, the homeowner who thinks he has the advantage is usually ambushed and killed by the intruder in his own house because he falsely believes that the gun and the ownership give him the advantage.

4. Somewhere out there there are FBI(?) statistics that show more armed homeowners are ambushed and killed with their own gun than intruders are killed by the homeowner.

5. The same statistics show that innocent friends and family are killed as often by an armed homeowner as an intruder is.

That's a pretty horrifying set of facts if you think about them... So the following is the recommended procedure if you are a homeowner that believes their house is being invaded and that is armed. Remember - the _usual_ scenario is that you are in bed - your weapon is in the bedroom and that you have installed a phone there... Outside this basic scenario you need to have made contingency plans or have multiple weapons - which might be difficult if you have children.

1. You will invariably be woken by the wife/gf/child/dog or anyone other than by yourself - you are a man - it's the way it works... Live with it... Do not shoot the person who wakes you if they are family members.

2. Pick up the phone, dial 911, give your name and inform them your house is being invaded. Unless they ask do not waste time giving your address - they already know it.

3. DO NOT hang up the phone. Place it in such a way that the 911 operator can hear everything.

4. Now you can get your weapon, unlock it and load it.

5. Move carefully to the position that protects the other members of the house that you have previously selected, (you pre-plan these positions - they protect "choke points" - places that an intruder _MUST_ pass through to get to you or others in the house - they must be places close to wherever you find yourself). You set yourself in that position and make yourself as small a target as possible.

6. Yell clearly but loudly, (remember, the 911 operator _needs_ to hear all this), "I have a gun... I'm prepared to use it... The police have been called... Leave my premises immediately". Then repeat this every 10 seconds.

7. Between "yells" be silent... Listen... Is he leaving or advancing?? If he advances then the moment he comes into view shoot twice - more if you need to - but if you can't hit him in two shots at a choke point you probably shouldn't have the gun.

8. If you have shot him and he falls out of view begin yelling "You have been shot... The police have been called... Leave my premises immediately". If he falls in view begin yelling "You have been shot, the police have been called. If you move I will shoot again". Work from there - If he moves - waste him... It'll be ok...

9. No matter how the above steps turn out keep repeating the appropriate phrase until the police arrive. Now... Don't trust the police!!!! 'Cos you haven't seen them yet, (it could be one of the home invaders)... Inform them you are the homeowner and that you are armed. Tell them to stay where they are... Return to the phone and ask for the callsign of the unit that claims to be on scene and in the house - they know... Then return and request their callsign. If it's correct unload your weapon, place it on the floor and step well away from it. inform them that they can advance and that you are now unarmed.

10. While they advance and if you shot _anyone_ inform the 911 operator that this tape is not to be erased and that your lawyer will be collecting a copy as soon as possible.

11. Sit back and relax.

Why does this system work? Because if it is an innocent "invasion", (a family member coming to borrow some sugar), you have given them the opportunity to identify themselves to you. Secondly, you do not risk yourself and your weapon by being some macho hero - you protect not attack. Lastly, when you waste some POS you have undeniable proof, (the 911 tape), that you did everything you could to warn, that the intruder still advanced and that you were in fear of your or your family's lives... There isn't a prosecutor in the USA that will take you to court with that evidence...

Trust me... Before you even purchase a weapon for home protection go through _all_ the scenarios using the principles above - no matter how it goes down get that phone call made and leave the phone off the hook. Only when you know your choke points, defense positions, locations of phones - put additional in if necessary - etc. should you go and buy the weapon... This _isn't_ hunting.... You are the prey - you _must_ win... But you might lose if the legal system can find a hole... So fill the holes...
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Dead Man Walking
    I hate stupid "yes I agree posts". We all do. But I couldnt agree more with what Ts has posted. Being a firearms owner and enthusiast, safety is my number one concern when it comes to anybody and weapons. That is exactly what it is. Erase the word gun from your vocaublary. It helps emphesise safety when you think of it as exactly what it is.

The only thing I could add onto what anybody has said here, dont use a pistol or asault rifle for home defense. If there is an inocent bystander behind a wall that you are firing at and you miss your target the bullet WILL penetrate a wall. Your best bet would be a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun with number 7 birdshot in that case. Yea it will make a mess out of whoever your aiming at (assuming relatively close range) but far less likely to penetrate a wall and if it does less likely to cause serious injury to anybody on the other side. Another pluss side to the shotgun is that you dont have to be quite as precise in aiming. Speaking from personal expreince your aim WILL be off in the situation we are talking about here.

All of your points are well taken, in my apt. complex we have had alot of break-in's recently... this is the reason Im looking into getting a CHL. I knew most of what Tiger posted but I did learn some new stuff that I didnt know from his post, that was helpful. I was seriously consider all the facts before I decide one way or the other. My whole reasoning for this isI just dont want the off chance of something happening then im screwed because I have nothing to protect myself with. But I realize its also a danger to others as well. I pride myself on gun safety like I said though so I would hope that if the situation ever came about I would be level-headed enough to only shoot the person that deserved to be shot and not an innocent bystander ( if it even came to where I actually had to shoot someone, hope not!)
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

your aim WILL be off in the situation we are talking about here.
    Acknowledging your "I hate stupid "yes I agree posts"." comment...

Absolutely... Even a well trained miltary or Law Enforcement Officer will be stressed... heavily... in such a situation... Concentration on clear thought is imperative... It could be your child stepping out of his bedroom door that looks like someone coming up the stairs... Needless to say, if you are a little too quick on the trigger it will end in tears. Concentrate on controlling your breathing - it _will_ be elevated... By doing that you will slow down all your other processes... That will give you the time to reasonably evaluate the situation. Trust me... It will work... Concentrate on the breathing!!!

Zombie:

I'll argue the shotgun question but not the assualt/rifle part... for a few reasons... Firstly, you are "fighting" in a confined area, so you need maximum flexibility. A long barreled weapon is unweildy in such a situation. Secondly, unless you chose to use a .45 or .357 type calibre for home defense then a shotgun, even with #7 can be equally dangerous through drywall as a 9mm. Lastly, yes... you'll miss... If you are out of control and fire wildly... hence the two shot recommendation... then rest... But you are using a precision weapon rather than an area weapon, (shotgun). Clearly, if you want to have a weapon in the first place you need to practice regularly and often, (regular can mean annually). It's a tool... Simple as that, which you point out yourself by saying "remove the word gun from your vocabulary"...

I'll _firmly_ recommend a reliable 9mm to anyone over anything for home protection for several reasons... They don't have that much "stopping power" so passing unmolested through walls is less of an issue. They are accurate compared to shotguns or the "heavier" weapons - ok, you have to hit twice or three times before they get the message... but you can!!! They are manageable by your wife with practice - they can fire them reliably and accurately - you might not always be there - no point in giving her a .357 magnum or a big shotgun if it scares the crap out of her - she'll be more scared of the weapon than the invader. They hold 10+ rounds in the magazine... My favorite, the Browning 9mm HP gives me 13... That's 6 "double taps" and a final shot... Lots to play with... I don't want to be messing with 6 rounds if there are multiple invaders.. reloading a revolver or shotgun, even with a speed loader, is a pain... Hell, if you have and need a second magazine it's easier to unload and load than anything else.

Yes, I'll grant you the downsides of a handgun... Short barrel = easy to mess up... Low "stopping power" = often need to hit multiple times, (but that helps in the lawsuit). Easy for kids to get and "play" with if you aren't careful... But in the long run I would recommend a 9mm for household defense over anything else.... Except maybe a pair of Schutzhund III's...