Remotely Monitor Batch Files

Thread: Remotely Monitor Batch Files

Question Remotely Monitor Batch Files

I chose this forum because of the traffic it receives versus the general programming forum. Does anyone know of a free application/ script that I would be able to install that will remotely monitor if a batch file is running on another server?

Scenario:

We have a production server that uses batch files that trigger other applications to run data collection. I need something that will send me an email if one of these batch files isnt running or if it stops running. If they stop I can't fix the issue until someone calls and tells me hey data collection isnt working.

I would prefer to take a more proactive stance and when/if they call I can say yup I know about it and I am already fixing it.

I would script something myself if I knew anything about programming.

Thanks,
    Spy
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Hi Spyrus,
    If you are running your collects on a windows serveur i would say go with a little VBS script checking on the proccess running. Of course it will depend on the type of collect being performed and weather the tool doing the collect is a typical dos batch file or if it is something more elaborate. If that is along the line of what you need i would check the technet site at microsoft.
    If it is not windows sorry cant really help
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

I guess I should have clarified... it is running on a windows 2k3 server. I will give technet a look, I didnt even think to look there.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

This should be close to what you need. It is set to run locally but it is easy enought to modifiy it to run on a remote machine. Of course to run the script you need the required authorisation on the server.

verify proccess availabilty

code :
    strComputer = "."
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    Set colProcesses = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'Database.exe'")

If colProcesses.Count = 0 Then
    Wscript.Echo "Database.exe is not running."
    Else
    Wscript.Echo "Database.exe is running."
    End If
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)