Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition problem

Question Partition problem

OK, I partitioned my hard drive so I would have Linux on one partition and XP on the other.

I want to undo my partition, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I reformated the hard drive, thinking this would magically undo all that was done. It didn't

So now I am out of ideas; would I have to buy another Hard Drive?

Yea the HD is gone you have to buy a new one.... Send it to me, I collect them....

Dude, RTFM, whatever you sued to partition this thing HAS to have some form of documentation.

I think you may want to sit down and learn the basics of OS installs and partitioning before you start messing with things you don't understand.

Now, depending on what OS you're in, you're going to have to become friends with fdisk, unless you're in Linux, then you probably want CFdisk.

Delete all the partitions, then, grab your Windows install disk, and have it install on the HD, as you'll need to make a new partition table....

Actually this is taking to logn to explain.

Use fdisk and delete all the partitions.

Take a Windows or Linux CD rom and pop it in.

When it loads up, in Linux either tell it to use the whole HD, depending on distro (You didn't give NEARLY enough information)..

OR:

For Windows:

Put the CD-ROM in the computer, reboot, and when it says you have no partitions or whatever it says, and let it format and create them for you. Then you're done.

After this I highly recommend you get some books or read some online docs on basics of partitioning or you're going to end up screwing this thing up good.

Oh, and *Moved to OSs*

AOs Resident Troll
    With XP disk...it should find the harddrive with the 2 partitions...may not recognize your linux partition....dont know

You should be able to delete the existing partitions and then format the whole disk...or create new partitions.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Couldn't I just run a magnet over the hard driver (first removing the hard drive from the box, of course), then install an OS onto it?
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

AOs Resident Troll
    From what I know....it would have to be a pretty big magnet....and I think you just may damage the disk......maybe not the platters....but the board on the disk

Just use the windows cd...........

MLF

Ummm did you not see my post? You rub a magnent on that thing you're most likely going to make it almost un-useable...

Hmmmm,

You would need an industrial strength electromagnet for it to work. The method is/was used to wipe backup tapes, it is not intended for hard drives as it either won't work, or it will be destructive, and you will have to buy a new drive.

Morgana~ and gore are quite correct. You have the solution right there.

1. Power up your machine
    2. Insert your Windows CD
    3. Reboot your PC. You should now get a prompt asking if you want to boot from the hard drive or CD. Select CD If this does not happen, take the "set up" option when your machine starts, this will bring you into your BIOS settings. There will be an option for "boot" or "Startup sequence" Set this to have the CD first then reboot with the Windows CD in the drive.
    4. When it boots, it will prompt you for installation instructions. SELECT CLEAN INSTALL nothing else will work properly so don't even bother.
    5. It will ask you about partitions you want. I believe the default is a single partition.
    6. The partition file type you want for Windows XP is NTFS
    7. Just follow the rest of the installation prompts.
    8. If you are prompted if you want ctrl + alt + del to login say "Yes"
    9. It will ask you to set an administrator password. Make this complex and write it down.

You will need your Windows product key to complete the installation.

You will then have to "activate" the product with Microsoft within 30 days.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    How bout a program like Partition Magic? or does that only CREATE partitions? not quite sure on that one....
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AOs Resident Troll
    Off topic........ sort of....Tex made me think about it

I recently have had a couple of 2000 installs fail....harddrive issue...

When I pop the drives in my machine....xp can see 2 partitions but cant recognize them.

Using a data recovery tool(ontrack) ...I get the data

Both these drives I used partition magic on.........many moons ago

Does a recent MS update wreck the partition management of PM.........renedering the OS unbootable...???

Almost exact same hardware...same date of purchase.....from my NT days I still split hardrives in some situations

Anyway.....

Just thoughts

MLF

Misstress Lefay (Tiger is probably to drunk to type right now, someone had to say it)

I recently had to do a restore on my laptop, I didn't use Partition Magic on these Partitions as I used Fdisk, but I did have trouble booting Windows back up again. Had to restore 5 tmies before it booted finally.