Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partition problem

AOs Resident Troll
    Its just really wierd that these 2 machines failed within a month...

...and I know used PM on them....both....

same thing....cant boot or repair...ms just doenst recognize the partitions... even slaved in another machine...need data off the machines because app is hugely hardware intense and runs better locally.....new products...no recent backup to server...(my fault.....)

Knowing you Mr Gore....you probably used a different OS then MS to partition the drive

there maybe a simulariity

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Morgan:

Yes, I partitioned with SUSE. It's way easier than using the red headed step child version of Fdisk Windows comes with.

If you can and you've backed everything up, why not try installing Linux on one of those boxes just to see what happens?

Like maybe it's a peice of hardware JUST starting to fail.

And now that I've read more of your post... Hmmmmm. Do you have a Live CD? You can try noe of those, mount the HDs, and then use FTP to send the files to another server so you at least have a back up. It's what I do when I screw up. Lol

I reformat at least one machine every week or so, my HDs get a good work out lol.

Though my mail system is going fine and has been up almost 78 days. and the other Slackware / Free BSD dual boot machine I have here has been up for just about 55 days.

I don't care abuot uptime anymore much, I just don't want to reboot because the mail system is the one with a bad HD... And the Monitor... So I don't want to install a new HD yet.

The other box I just leave up because I get alot of email and so that one checks another account. That email accoun gets so much mail I actually use it for that email address only and use Mutt to check it.

I have almost 40,000 emails right now. It's like 17 Free BSD Unix lists, a bunch of SUSE lists, and security lists, and all of them, every email sent, are archived on that machnie.

AOs Resident Troll
    Far too busy with databases and accounting reporting sh1t right now....

Not what I like to do.....or very good at...but learning fast...

accouting sh1t hurts my head............

funny that 2 different partition or disk managers...end up with the same results..same OS??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well mine is Windows XP home, but I'm used to updates breakign things on Windows. Lol.

As long as Doom runs I'm cool.

OK, so I installed GRUB, and when I restarted my hard drive, the Ubuntu kernel was there as an option to boot to

So, I don't think I'm in such a big hole as I believed, but is there any way to undo all the partitions (there's only one) and get it back to its original state?
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

Yes, you previously had a dual boot HDD. The normal routine is to install Windows first and then a *nix. During the Windows install it created a partition(s) and like wise during the the *nix install. Many Windows' do not see the *nix partition(s) and can't delete them. However a *nix utility will most likely see all partitions and can delete, create, etc.

As was mentioned by Gore very early on, use a *nix utility to delete the *nix's partitions. At a minimum there will be two *nix partitions to delete, swap & /

Using the *nix utility you can do everything in one set and create your desired state.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.