Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands

Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands

Found this scrounging around the net last night. Looks mighty useful.

"Allow me to build tension by prefacing the end-all/be-all solution with my background: Having worked for the now-incorporated Geek Squad branch of Best Buy Corporation for the better part of eight months, I have seen dozens upon dozens of systems come through our department with any one of these errors, brought in by customers who are afraid they did something, have a virus, or are in jeopardy of losing their data. Prior to my discovery of an invaluable sequence of commands, our standard procedure was to hook the afflicted drive to an external enclosure, back up a customer’s data and then restore the PC with the customer’s restore discs or an identical copy of Windows with the customer’s OEM license key. If the customer wasn’t keen on the applicable charges for the data backup, we informed them of the potential risks for a Windows repair installation (Let’s face it, they don’t always work right), had them sign a waiver, and we did our best.

Neither of these procedures are cheap in the realm of commercial PC repair, nor do they inspire a tremendous level of confidence in the technician or the hopeful client.

In an effort to expedite our repair time and retain the sanity of myself and other technicians, I received permission to undertake a case study on a variety of PCs currently in service that exhibited any of the aforementioned symptoms, and I took it upon myself to find a better solution. After crawling through the MSKB, Experts Exchange, MSDN and sundry websites all extolling the virtues of a solution to these problems, I only found one that worked, and it has been reliably serving me for the better part of two weeks on seventeen PCs to date."

http://www.short-media.com/printcont...print=r&id=313

Not quite the Holy Grail, but close.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Thankx - I'll try it - My 7 year old got BSOD a few days after a memory upgrade (after which things were fine for days).
    CDROM comes on line, but the keyboard, mouse and monitor do not attach. Something early in the boot. No fair - boot dragons are not supposed to surface while you are on a different machine battling an elusive driver compatability issue on a Chinese usb camera that has engaged too many cooks in the developer soup in a short time. The company's herky jerky development history told in nauseating detail in inf files. Thanks again,

Mark L.
    CuriousTwo

Excelent resource, I too discovered this site a while back and have even wrote them down on paper, I prob wont remember them untill I have to use them, its been a while since ive had to fix a xp boot failure, but armed with these commands I will be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by curioustwo
    Thankx - I'll try it - My 7 year old got BSOD a few days after a memory upgrade (after which things were fine for days).
    Have you considered a memory tester, it is posible the memory is bad. There is a free memory tester http://www.memtest86.com/ you might find usefull.
    MyBox:

Asus P5VDC-MX
    Celeron 2.8GHz
    512MB DDR 400
    WD 250GB SATA
    DVD-ROM, CD-RW
    Thermaltake 430W PSU
    Netgear WGT624 Router

Mirado old chap,

curioustwo says his CD ROM starts but his mouse, keyboard and monitor "do not attach".............by that I assume he means load? So how can he hope to run Memtest86

His best bet is to remove the memory upgrade and see if the machine still works in its former state.

If it does then it certainly is not a Windows issue.

AOs Resident Troll
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to brokencrow again.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

That's a safeguard to prevent people abusing the rep system.

AOs Resident Troll
    Yep...I know that.

I was just letting Broken Crow know I would have given him greenies if I could

because the post and link was informative.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well I agree so I did it for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    That's a safeguard to prevent people abusing the rep system.
    Oh really?

Anyway,lol, brokencrow, very nice post. I have come along this problem before, and have gone through the long route, but not anymore I'll have to try this next time I come across it.
    Last edited by metguru; November 30th, 2006 at 11:58 PM.

Ooooooo, wait'll you have a question bout the software!!