Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands

I've bookmarked that excellent guide. I must admit to being a bit unsure of how to use the Recovery Console, likewise the Windows Support Tools, though I have them installed.

I haven't experimented with giving people "greenies" but I will start with brokencrow

Silly question, is this related to those green squares underneath an avatar? I assumed they were in direct proportion to number of posts.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Antionline Herpetologist
    Yeah, it is related to the green dots under an avatar. The more "reputation points" (they used to be called antipoints) you have, the more dots. If you have negative "reputation points", the dots are red...

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

*looks at dots*

No red ones anyway Why are some of them bright green, ie the ones I don't have?

Incidentally I just gave you some reputation (better than calling it antipoints!). Your responses are quick and I find you very helpful. It seems like I can add to my own reputation?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Antionline Herpetologist
    The bright green ones are worth twice (or is that 10 times?, more anyway) as much as the dark green ones. Also, if you go over "x" points into the red, it used to be that you got autobanned. Great for getting rid of trolls, etc. I don't know if this is still the case after the upgrade, but I think it is... Also, you can't add to your own reputation, the system won't allow you to. It also won't allow you to assign reps repeatedly to a single person (or a small group of people) without assigning some reps to someone else. This is obviously to prevent abuse by the small group of people that actually think it makes them "1337" to have a lot of green dots.
    It is always nice to see the comments accompanying reps, but I tend to use them more as an indication of what the community likes and doesn't like than as an actual "reputation" or "trust" system...
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

check this out. boot disk that does a lot of the same repairs

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by brokencrow
    Found this scrounging around the net last night. Looks mighty useful....
    http://www.short-media.com/printcont...print=r&id=313

Not quite the Holy Grail, but close.
    Just Close? Nearly indistinguishable. Thanks, a great post.

I had this link in my favorites pending printing ever since this thread was for posted. I just recently read it completely and I have a question about one of the load options. I tend to help a lot of people with their computers, and say I encounter this error, how will I be able to establish if they have a CPU with Intel's XD or AMD's NX buffer overflow protection? My CPU definitely doesn't have this so I wouldn't know how to check..my guess is the BIOS? Asking them would be out of the question since I'm usually dealing with people who don't know what the CPU is in the first place.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    I only saw this post now: Read the whole article. Very informative, definately going into my bookmarks. Actually going to print it out and file it incase my Pc bombs out.

Thank you for this post.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein