Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zero Day - The New Number One Threat To Data Security

Increasing monitoring is the best way to promote the use of encryption.

"If it's software encrypted, forget it" -The NSA
    SEC_RITY is not complete without U!

Yea, and beating your children is the best way to promote good communication skills.....

And attacking firewalls is the best way to make better ones.

Lets' not forget bank robbers were the hackers of the oldschool who made sure banks are more secure and harder to rob too...

I'm not so sure I agree with that statement. It's one of those things:

True to an extent yet not always the best way. (It's almost 3 AM and I don't remember what those are called).

I've pointed out that I support the FBI, CIA, and NSA. If them listening to what people do prevents and attack or a war, where is the problem?

War or Privacy. Pick one.

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    One of the types of people that fall into the 'Moron' category for me are people that form an opinion about something without having any knowledge of it, other than it exists. 'I think the internet is too vulgar!' Well, thats wonderfull, can you show me some data, or some opinions from people whose proffesion relates to this that can support your oppinion? No? Then congradulations, you're a moron! If you don't have the foggiest clue about something, educate yourself about it before you sound off on something you don't know about.
    Unfourtunatly, all Politicians fall into the category of moron, since the usually have little to no understanding of the things that they vote on.

I think its time for me to make my own country and ignore the rest of the world...the human race is starting to irk me.
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

Originally posted here by gore

War or Privacy. Pick one.

Fine, I'll take Privacy. It it part of what this country (US) was founded on. Life, Liberty and the persuit of happiness. Privacy from an intrusive gov't is also in there.

So don't go changing what my country is just because you are willing to give up you unalienable rights. I'm not willing to give them up.

And this is not a Republican centric problem. This is a government centric problem. The government has too much power and no longer fears the populace. We are crossing over a line that makes me very unhappy. I said this same thing in 2001 on this site and was labeled a quack, and a conspiracy theorist. Now that we are further along the road and more people see the same problems that I was pointing out 6 years ago then perhaps people will learn?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. —Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain [George III] is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.

now let's take a look at some of their greivences:

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance.

He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.

For depriving us, in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:

For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences:
    Any of those sound familiar? Yeah that's what I thought. As I said before this is /not/ a Republican problem. This is a government problem as a whole. I don't think it will matter which party is in control as they are both striving for the same goal.

please don't read in to what I have said that I'm calling for a dissolution of the US gov't or a revolt. I am calling for a change although I doubt the vast majority of the populace will understand or support that.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Wheres the problem as long as you have encryption?

The problem with the way of our agencies are choosing to address their civilian counter parts is bordering the same tactics the SS used. If we look at the spying, the tactics around controlling demonstrations, the propaganda being pushed out on our major networks. The majority of America has no voice other then the blogs and journalists from other countries. Because we have no hard nosed journalists making it on prime time anymore.

But do you honestly believe that the terrorists are foolish enough to hold their conversations and send their transcripts over the wire without using some form of encryption? We're a security community put that black hat on and think in the "enemies" perspective. If you were going plan something and you didn’t want anyone to know about it until it happened what would you do? If you were going to use communications how would you protect your messages? Would you do these nefarious things from your home? Would you do them from the same location? When the nation you are in doesn't take the time to understand your culture is there any place you couldn't stand with a pre-paid cell phone and hold a short conversation with minimal worry of being identified?

The way the media approaches this subject shows the ignorance of our nation.

As a nation we don’t want to hear the truth. What we want is to have 100+ channels of nothing piped into our homes so we can sit on our couches after a "Long day of work". We want to watch 24, the Simpson’s, ER, football and drink our Budweiser. We don't want to know that our marines went on a rampage and murdered innocents or that our government is possibly profiling us. When we find these things out we have to justify it was for the right reasons. We want to play the ostridge. Stick our head in the sand and believe that our government is going to take care of us and knows what is best. Most of our politicians can't even sing the national anthem and they want me to believe they know what rights I have?

It's funny that it is ok to be paranoid about terrorists but it's not ok to be paranoid about what our government is trying to do and questioning how they are going to impact our civil liberties and constitutional rights. But that is my two cents.

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing."

The privacy of which you speak is only necessary to those who do wrong and have something they need to hide. That little tirade should be including in ACLU literature, a "has-been" organization if there ever was one.

And on another note Bush bashing is seriously passé. Have an original thought, will ya?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Not trying to be the hall monitor here, but it was me who requested Cosmos... Terr requested Addicts
    Yo.

Rcgreen: I sure hope the Democrats end up with a strong "transparency" or "accountability" plank in their platform. It needs to be there.

The privacy of which you speak is only necessary to those who do wrong and have something they need to hide.
    So you don't believe in privacy? Please post your bank account numbers and the balance of each, Korp. Or many a list of all sexual encounters you may have had and whom with? You have nothing to hide, after all... Or if you have kids, maybe their names, photos, schools, school schedules, list of fears? Maybe a list of everything you've ever gotten from a pharmacy?

Or how about your e-mail? Can I ride along and view all of your e-mail? You've done nothing wrong, so you have nothing to hide, right?

(Wow, my second post of 2006.)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Kwiep
    During the past few years I learned alot about electronics and with the knowledge I got, I got a growing respect for the law enforcement part that disables bombs. I'm convinced that if I just take some time I can design and build a bomb that got so frickin many boobytraps, that it is pretty much impossible to defuse within the 5 minutes the flashing red display is showing. And I sure as hell ain't gone use different colour wires for everything so you can just "cut the red one". However! Them bomb squads get the thing done alot of times anyway, wich leads me to believe the bombbuilders were a bunch of morons.

In that perspective I think it's quite frickin impossible to analyse ALL data wich is randomly encrypted with encryption schemes that might just be home-cooked and randomized. However I have no doubt the NSA and every nation's counterpart of them (yeah you got em too) can do amazing things, they still can't do the impossible. So, IMO they are actually capable of catching some wanabe n00b torrorists every now and then, but I expect the big mac daddy terrorists to be smart enough to fool the NSA long enough to do their thing. The big question then is if the huge loss of privacy actually entails a huge improvement of safety. And if there are no (or not too much) "side effects" or "statistical misjudgements" involved.

off-topic:
    On the democrat-republican thing, they're both conservative from a dutch perspective. I though the goal of both was to get back to post (or pre for the really conservative ones) civil war times where the most important question for the government was where to station the marines on the new navy uber-cruiser with twice the ammounts of cannons. The world is amazed about the whole democrat-republican duality fight. No foreigner understands it and it doesn't ever seem to go anywhere. With that in mind, what does it have to do with the topic?
    Double Dutch

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    With that in mind, what does it have to do with the topic?
    The OP, in his usual manner, brought it up in his opening post. He does this a lot... He doesn't contribute a damn thing for months at a time then he sneaks in and starts a "topic" with an anti republican barb thrown in and expects to respected and "hero-worshipped" for being the founder of this site...

That's wrong... He sold the site... He relinquished any responsibility for it... But he seems to have these little fits of "seller's remorse" and comes back and tries to stir the $h1t... Then he often won't even respond to any replies to his initial post but will just disappear again... Frankly, he should be banned for that behaviour alone, it smacks of a juvenile need for attention...

Oh JP... More than 10 posts since you last contributed to "your" thread... Disappeared again? Realized how childish your little "rant" was and are too embarrassed to pipe up again or have you, as I suspect, just passed through to stir crap and have forgotten about your precious site again... It was a sad day in your life when you sold your "hero worship" wasn't it? Get over it and move on... You had your 15 minutes of fame...

Good luck to you in your future life...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides