Thread: I just can't find my audio driver

I just can't find my audio driver

I recently whiped and re-installed windows on my friends pc and can't find the audio driver.

It is an integrated chipset made by intel.

82801fb ich6 high definition audio controller

windows xp pro

i have looked at intels site a lot but seem to just keep going in circles with the links.

this pc has none of the original cds that it came with, and windows can't seem to find the drivers on its own while trying to update the driver for my unkown device in device manager.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Good Evening,

Unfortunately you will most likely need the CD or equivilant that came with the Main Board since it is integrated. Might mean some more searching at the board's website or you can try googling for it. I have about 10 minutes so I'll go look as well. Good luck!

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I've used this site before while looking for obscure drivers. It will most likely be here, find your chipset and you're off to the races. You can also just go right to the audio driver info section to speed it up.

Intel

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    for the oddballl drivers
    I use Drivers HQ

You need to pay
    I KNOW you can get drivers for free
    but I sometimes need it right now
    and they haven't let me down so far [one year, and various PC feck ups ]
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

It's a gas!

Just Another Geek
    You should be able to use the AC'97 driver that came with XP.

IntelĀ® High Definition Audio Drivers and Software
    The base driver for Intel High Definition Audio is now a common operating system driver provided by Microsoft*. This provides some benefits compared to previous models, most importantly stability.

AC'97 codec
    Audio components integrated into IntelĀ® chipsets consists of 2 components - an Audio Codec '97 (AC'97) digital controller, which is built into the I/O Controller Hub (ICH) of the chipset, and a AC'97 codec, which is the analog component of the architecture. AC'97 defines a high-quality, 16- or 20-bit audio architecture for the PC that is used in the majority of today's desktop platforms.

Integrated audio is implemented with the AC'97 Codec on the motherboard, a CNR (Communication and Networking Riser) card, or an AMR (Audio and Modem Riser) card.

AC'97 Audio Drivers and Software
    Due to the variety of different AC'97 codecs that are available, Intel does not offer AC'97 reference audio drivers for public download. Please refer to the system or motherboard manufacturer for any driver downloads or updates. If you have an Intel motherboard, please refer to the motherboard support site to determine which audio component is used on your motherboard.
    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009244.htm
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hi JI what make and model of MoBo is it?

Relyt is right when he suggests that you go to the MoBo manufacturer's site for drivers. Intel don't make soundcards, just the chipsets.

AC'97 Audio Drivers and Software
    Due to the variety of different AC'97 codecs that are available, Intel does not offer AC'97 reference audio drivers for public download. Please refer to the system or motherboard manufacturer for any driver downloads or updates. If you have an Intel motherboard, please refer to the motherboard support site to determine which audio component is used on your motherboard.

Slightly surprising, I would have expected XP to have a driver for an integrated AC97 chipset

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by nihil
    Slightly surprising, I would have expected XP to have a driver for an integrated AC97 chipset
    It does.. At least on my XP
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yes, I have the same on mine and it is the like with other integrated sound MoBos I have come across.

Strange.....................? I would have just expected it to plug n' play