Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why one OS VS another isn't over played here

Why one OS VS another isn't over played here

It seems when I decide I want to make a post or get a decent discussion going about OSs, it takes maybe one day before someone says "This is been talked to death and it's old" or I get called a Microsoft basher.

I don't think this has been done to death and I sure as hell don't think we should stop talknig about it.

Why?

Simple, this is the OS forum, it was made to talk about OSs. That has yet to of happened very often though. The only thing we see here is questions.

So, in the near future I'll be starting another thread about Windows and other OSs. However, this is a pre warning:

Don't think for one minute someone is going to ruin it with "This is my OS is better than yours bull"....Not happening.

Maybe people would have realised this had there been more discussions on OSs here, but because people seem to think that once a thread about Unix and Windows was done it didn't need to be done again, I have to explain it:

MS-DOS is different from.... Well Windows.

Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 are not the same thing.

Windows NT was a complete re-design from Windows 95. And at that time Linux was very different than it is now.

Windows 2000 came out and so did another version of the Linux Kernel. Why did we not talk about it?

Windows XP came out as did the new Linux Kernel.... Again, another chance for discussion on new changes and features in both OSs.

Well, Windows Vista is coming. The 2.6 Kernel for Linux isn't the same thing it was, as Linus wants to slow down on adding features and start fixing up issues. Free BSD also has a new release.

We could have a GREAT discussion on the differences from past releases... And we could talk about who is using them... How do they like it?

And we are. For the Closet zelots (Windows users who pretend they only want fairness when really they are Windows zelots in the same way we have Linux zealots who ruin every discussion I try to get going here) if you think for one minute of ruining this new discussion coming up, here is a warning, I WILL delete your posts. I WILL re-open the thread if need be. We CAN talk about things without "My OS is better" and if you don't like it, select the option that says front page display, and un-tick OSs.

Windows Vista

Free BSD 6

SUSE Enterprise 10

Slackware 11

Lots of topics.

Hmmm now there's one i cannot believe i have not tried free BSD, i've been tinkering around with detoxx lately, i haven't gotten far, but hey it's kind of fun to get a little bit done, then wait to see if everything glues together, then when it fruits up you have to start again and try to get a little further.

It's soooo irritating, yet addicting.

will get onto that free BSD as i've now got a new box that i've been meaning to put together and use.

cheers
    f2B

Good idea gore. I was just reading an article by Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols about the Vista/SUSE 10.1-Enterprise 10 match up. He thinks the advantage at present goes to SUSE. But this is something we will read more about.

The Linspire people also have a new offering coming out called freespire. Which is a free version of Linspire (free in price and free as in GPL freedom) which they will give you as a free download. I think you can use apt-get to update the free software. If you want to use Click and Run (CNR) they have a 30 free trial, and then you have to pay $20.00 a year. This may give people another Vista alternative.

About your idea for a new discussion. I think one way to keep it a useful discussion is to focus on facts. That is, back up statements with facts. If you say, "My OS is better," be prepared to give details to back up opinions (when I say "you" I mean anyone making a statement).

Vista is still supposed to come out early next year (January I think). The first part of 2007 looks to be an interesting time.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I've been prepairing for this for quite some time. I just wanted a fair warning to anyone who's tinking of ruining it.

Thanks Precher.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Her OS is better than his...

*snikker*

[Edit]

Actually... I don't think I ever had a post deleted... A new first...

[/Edit]
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Don't say a new first. That implies that you've had it happen now. which you haven't.

However, if you're planning on replying to the thread, you WILL add something useful, you WILL NOT reply with your usual crap of how it's dumb, or over done, or whatever else you kay have planned to kill it with, or I'm going to get out the harpoon and go phishing for sharks.

Actually Tiger you should be damn happy about this, because you run almost completly a Windows network. Meaning you should probably have quite a bit to add in. There are only 2 boxes here running Windows. Even though I have been thinkign about setting up Server 2003 again. Was fun.

Looks like someone has an ideal ike mine:

http://desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5613250391.html

The only reason OS threads turn into wars for the most part is because "usually" one party on either side makes comments that are entirely untrue and biased. So when those statements are made it fuels the discussion in my opinion. If one seems biased and unprepared they should be called to the floor. Not silenced. For example most of the time people speak of windows in the context of 1995. People are biased against windows for one particular reason, proprietary source code. Often the actual merits of either OS go undiscussed. And it ALWAYS depends on exactly "what" you are trying to accomplish. Zealots go both ways, not just with defending Windows. Even among the Linux user base in various forms of distros you have your zealots pointing out deficiencies in other distros, even ones under dev.

People are more critical of windows. Even as Vista readys the media seems to focus on what is wrong with windows or what features are left out versus the linux distros where each release is portrayed as the second coming of Jesus. And rightly so, I suppose. Considering we are paying out the ass for windows, we want more. And it's up to MS to convince us to spend money on another round of upgrades. Some of us will be forced to because with each release of a new OS comes the impending end of their lowest platform support.

And to continue a discussion on a path of collaboration with windows and Linux: open office 2 has been out for some time now and it reads MS formatted document files like never before.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    before this thread goes 'Live'
    I would delete posts 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 [and THIS one natch]
    as you seem to be posting for a self fulfilling prophesy
    and those posts are just superfluous to the thread

trim it down now
    and let her rip ..........

you don't NEED to go at it like a bull with a sore head
    mod it from the background
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone