Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why one OS VS another isn't over played here

Dont use big words foxy you will confuse him!

Hell I'm lucky I can type right now,. It's almost 3 PM and I'm still awake. I have an appointment in a few minutes and a Ghost Hunters Marathon is on which is why I haven't replied to any of this so far.

But for some of the comments, I'm not going to have the actual thread in here, this was more like the rough draft, the thread is going to hopefully be started sometimes after I sleep heh. I've invited a few people in so hopefully they jump in, and Tiger had his invite in a reply here as he is one of the few Windows only netywork people, and I know, that if he knows this is going to be seriouse, than he can add to it on that side, and maybe Pooh will hop in though he has been busy.

For modding, the only thing I'm going to do on that end is delete threads that contribute nothing to it. I don't plan on dleeting or editing threads other than for that. I mean I'm not going to sit here deleting every Pro Windows Vista post, that would kill the discussion.

Anyway, I'll be back in a bit. I'm finding out how my lungs are doing and my blood tests.

If you get the Sci Fi Channel, pop it on!

I'll solve this immediately. There are those who know know.... the best OS ever conceived goes with the best toys ever handled by primates. The open source implementation of the Lego Operating System - LegOS However LegOS seemed to have been too much like Legos (the toy) so it is now brickOS
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

It's too bad the BarbieOS gore posted on a while back was a hoax. They could have had KenOS also, which could have been KDE based instead of Gnome
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    I'll solve this immediately. There are those who know know.... the best OS ever conceived goes with the best toys ever handled by primates. The open source implementation of the Lego Operating System - LegOS However LegOS seemed to have been too much like Legos (the toy) so it is now brickOS
    Ahh Man :
    now I'm too thick to play with LEGO

I have copies of all the MS OS's
    and have a couple of the open source too

from MY perspective
    the MS path was a LOT easier as there was / is a HEAP of help out there
    plus everyone and their dog has MS at home too

Open source has me flummoxed
    I can load it, and it sorts itself out to find the network settings to let me surf [well, Ubuntu / Fedora core3 did] but to get help with these requires you to utilise the web to get to a forum

Still can't get any of em to 'do' what I can do with windows
    and the forums are full of KDE this and Gnome that

it's full of code
    I.T. is Acronym hell
    but open source has em ENCRYPTED

I still keep hacking [no pun intended] away at em
    but for my day to day services I'm 'stuck ' with MS .......
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Something I want brought up is File Systems. Not just NTFS, or Fat32, and sure as crap not just Ext2 and Ext3 either.

I can hold my own in BeFS, FAT, UFS, FFS, ReiserFS.... I won't list them all, but I would like to discuss these as well.

Again tis is going to be more like Windows, Linux, Unix, MscOS if someone has a Mac around.... Also Fragmentation.

This is one of my complaints in Windows... How can they say a modern secure File system if it needs defragged at all?

I'm hoping... Well I WAS hoping, with vista WinFS would kill defragging. BSD and Linux don't need any defragging... So why should Windows?

I just finished Defragging my laptop on the Windows Partition.... It has %5 Fragmentation still.... Why?

Fox:

When you say you have copies of ALL Microsoft OSs, do you have a copy of Xenix by chance? I've been looking for one.

forums are full of KDE this and Gnome that
    That's because with KDE or Gnome you can do most of what windows GUI does. You just have to take your hat off and start over with where things are located. There is no c:/, each distro has a configuration utility that replaces "control panel". In SuSE its YaST. Change IP.. YaST, change video settings.. YaST etc. Learning curve? HUGE.

I just finished Defragging my laptop on the Windows Partition.... It has %5 Fragmentation still.... Why?
    Because it's impossible to have ZERO fragmentation. Even under Linux. If you ran some kind of "fragmentation" program under Linux right now. I bet you would see around 15 - 20 percent fragmentation. What Linux does do better is a couple of things to keep it down. One is the newer file systems that sort of "defrag" on the fly and keep fragmentation minimal. You will never have all space consumed within each sector and cylinder. NEVER. Until a sector is 1 byte in length. But that would make file tracking very costly in over head.

For simplicity lets say both windows and Linux have 500kb sectors and you save a 300kb script on each os. Guess what? Fragmentation. Linux doesn't really need a "defrag" program per say because they have moved forward a little better and maintain files systems that keep fragmentation minimal. That is NOT to say it is absent.

Why didn't windows do as well? Compatibility in the upgrade process over time from FAT (8 bit) to FAT 16 to FAT32 to NTFS which with each succession did a better job and fragmentation.

Another thing Linux does better to hold off fragmentation is starting with several partitions right on install. More partitions = less overall storage space but better fragmentation management. But even on Linux if the free space becomes small fragmentation will increase.

So Linux really doesn't require defragmentation because it does a better job at keeping it in check. Windows isn't as good but is improving and the most likely reason is backward compatibility over time. Where as in the Linux world they don't mind trashing and rebuilding their systems because there isn't the issue with a registry tracking software parameters and the inability to build (compile) source code on modified file systems.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

If you don't mind when I do post the new thread I'm going to copy and post that one in it.

Sipping my coffee I had another thought. People have always said linux didn't need defragging. But in ext2 you had a tool called e2defrag. funny, there is a defrag tool there. And in ext3 you could downgrade to ext2 run defrag and then upgrade again.

With NTFS MS said you wouldn't need to defrag. They were wrong. Not quite there yet. If you are going to copy that, I should spell check it.
    West of House