Thread: Question about my BIOS

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Question about my BIOS

I have a fairly new computer about 6 months old. custom built from http://www.cyberpowerpc.com its a XP pro fully patched AMD 3000 with 512 megs of ram and a 2.4 gig processor with a 80 gig HD anyway I was just showing off my question is how do I know if my BIOS needs to be updated or not?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AOs Resident Troll
    Go to the MB web site...and compare versions...see what the update does...and if it relates to your hardware\os

I only update the bios if I am having a specific issue with new hardware....or the OS

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

thanx MLF, but I have a 2nd question. Do you know of a good "computer profiler" program out there? because honestly im not exactly sure who makes my MB and if i had that tool I know it could tell me and maybe even what BIOS im running. or can I find this info from the BIOS setup ( i.e. F8)?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Originally posted here by The Texan
    thanx MLF, but I have a 2nd question. Do you know of a good "computer profiler" program out there? because honestly im not exactly sure who makes my MB and if i had that tool I know it could tell me and maybe even what BIOS im running. or can I find this info from the BIOS setup ( i.e. F8)?
    I always kind of liked 'sisoft sandra' (http://www.sisoftware.net/). I found it kind of depends on what you have (ie, how well the manufacturer responds to the request) and it has pulled them successfully before...if it doesn't you can always look along the edges of the motherboard...on one of the edges it should have a make/model # in larger than normal writing...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

try cpuz it will generate all sorts of info about your comp..

and it will even generate a .html page with details about your mobo etc etc.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

the installer is halfway dowb the page or just click Here

a screen dump of it ..

AOs Resident Troll
    Yeah a tool would be handy....

I usually have all the info here at work...for the machines on the network. We pretty well stick with the same hardware through out....makes it easy for troubleshooting

but when working with older machines or friends\family I usually just pop the back off and look for some kinda ID on the MB as suggested by nebulus200

...then google.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I found out my BIOS is a phoenix bios im checking for updates now thanx again for all the help.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    or just click 'start' ----> Run, then type in 'dxdiag' ??

gives you all sorts of stuff
    inc BIOS
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone