Thread: ECSA (Adv. penetration test) course worthed ?

ECSA (Adv. penetration test) course worthed ?

I want to take a hands-on security course to fill some gaps.
    In my town SANS Giac Security Essentials courses are not offered.

I see that vigilar.com offers the ECSA (Certified Security Analyst).

Anyone has any experience with this course ? It is a good idea spend money to take this ?

I've heard of those certs before but I've never actually met anyone that had the CEH, ECSA, or LPT. If people in the security industry don't know that much about those certs you can rest assured that HR folks are not going to know anything about it. To me it sounds kind of corny.. I'm not sure how a test or a 5 day class can really judge how ethical you are.

If the course objectives meet your needs, and the cost is right, go for it. It doesn't sound like you are taking the class for the certification. If you want to take classes to get certs I would focus on CISSP or something focused in on your OS of choice.

You made a very good point.
    Unfortunately SANS will offer the GSEC in my town, but it is a kind of mentor session distributed in eleven weeks, 2 hours/week. I am not sure if it makes sense paying $2,800 for 22 hours of course instead of 40h.

You are right. CISSP is still what is known out there and I guess this is all about marketing. I will be also taking the CISSP seminar in August.

Thanks !

Originally posted here by mohaughn
    I've heard of those certs before but I've never actually met anyone that had the CEH, ECSA, or LPT. If people in the security industry don't know that much about those certs you can rest assured that HR folks are not going to know anything about it. To me it sounds kind of corny.. I'm not sure how a test or a 5 day class can really judge how ethical you are.

If the course objectives meet your needs, and the cost is right, go for it. It doesn't sound like you are taking the class for the certification. If you want to take classes to get certs I would focus on CISSP or something focused in on your OS of choice.