Thread: CD drive problem.

CD drive problem.

Greeting's

I'm not sure if its a CD drive problem but there is some problem reading one particular CD and I need help ASAP.

Few days back I zipped up some important folders because I was suppose to give a copy to my senior. The folders were very large in size hence I zipped them up and spanned the zip file into 700 MB size but due to bad luck (or large file's) the zip file was split into 3 parts with the 3 part being only 11 Mb.

Hence I decided to over burn one CD with one of the parts adding the last one in it. I went through Nero's guide and it said it was SAFE to add about 12 Mb of data if the disk was not multi session and by using "short lead-in and lead-out"

Now coming to the real problem, the CD having the 2 parts of the zip file is not being read properly. It give's an error "Invalid MS-DOS function. Its completes the copy up to 99 % but the last 1 % gives the error.

I need these files because I deleted using Eraser software using custom 57 passes
    So a possibility to recover it from my hard disk is impossible.

Any help guys ?
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    you burned on a RW ?
    you are checking it on a ROM ?

try to read it from the RW

as you say it is a CD, I assume you used a CD RW ?
    try it in a DVD ROM or RW

was it in a windows PC

can you try it in an open source unit ?

just some guesses
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Greeting's

First of all thank you very much to the moderator for moving this thread to the right forum.

I have a Windows XP system. I have a DVD Combo drive. I have tried reading it at very slow speed but nothing works.

I have to leave for sometime, Ill post more when I come back. Anyway if anyone can provide a solution I would really be glad.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

in nero you have an option of "verify the written data" this should always be clicked on.

this problem usually occurs when there is a scratch on the cd. the data gets recorded but its the reading it that gives the problem.

1) put the cd into a different computer, see if it copies. you might have to try different computers to finally get it done.

2) run the winrar or winzip directly from the cd with the destination folder somewhere else.

3) my home recipe- put tooth paste(white only, not those coloured ones) on both sides of the cd. rub lightly and wash with water. dry up, using a tissue paper from center towards the edge of the cd. insert it in and try again. chances to work 50%.

4) clean the lens of the drive and try.

5) next time..............use a pen drive.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

By doing an Overburn of the CD during writing. You could of flecked the CD, and the burner all at the same time.
    Why didn't you just burn the data to a blanc DVD disc instead? Seeing as you were using a combo burner, witch i'm thinking would be a CD/DVD burner..

And you should always choose the Verify data after burn option, that way you will now before deleting the original data that the duplicate copy on the Disc is actually on the disc.

maybe try making a .ISO of the disc onto your desktop, then use Daemon Tools or something to mount the image and see if you can aceess the data that way?

cheers
    f2B

f2B

I am with bagggi on this one. I have several CDs that will work on one drive and not on another for no apparent reason.

1. Clean the CD drive................run the disk 3 or 4 times.
    2. Carefully clean the CD..................outwards from the centre............DO NOT use a circular motion.

The use of toothpaste is a last resort. It is a mild abrasive, but is the same principle as is used in commercial CD recovery devices. What it does is remove surface blemishes and allow the underlying data to be read.

I am not sure if this will work with a CD:

http://www.roadkil.net/

"Unstoppable copier"

You should also try the CD on the machine that was used to create it

As a general rule do not use the lead in and lead out tracks to store data. They are not as reliable as the main body.