Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to get around router so I can ssh

Need to get around router so I can ssh

Obviously port 22 is blocked. Is there a way that I can set up a tunnel on an open port? Or does the server reply on port 22 regardless? I'm trying to tunnel to rootshell.be but the router here keeps blocking attempts...

Any ideas??

Thanks

AOs Resident Troll
    Tell the router not to block it...or to forward your request to the machine you are trying to access.

Isnt 22 ftp...which is usually blocked by default on most routers??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    Tell the router not to block it...or to forward your request to the machine you are trying to access.

Isnt 22 ftp...which is usually blocked by default on most routers??

MLF
    Negative. 21 = FTP Control 20 = FTP Data, 22 = SSH

Agree with post though, just unblock SSH, otherwise I assume its blocked for a reason and you should take that up with your security folks (assuming that isn't you otherwise you'd just unblock it...)
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

22 is SSH...

What you can do, is find a port that is open. Then setup a relay somewhere that listens on that port and forwards to port 22 on that host. Netcat can be used to do this.

This does require a host to do it on though.

AOs Resident Troll
    Negative. 21 = FTP Control 20 = FTP Data, 22 = SSH
    sorry...still on my first coffee....

and a little foggy from some very nice Australian Shiraz last night

As mentioned...unblock it....or contact the routers admin...and have them unblock it.

MLF

Originally posted here by zENGER
    22 is SSH...

What you can do, is find a port that is open. Then setup a relay somewhere that listens on that port and forwards to port 22 on that host. Netcat can be used to do this.

This does require a host to do it on though.
    Correct. However, if its not your network, you can easily be caught.
    The IDS/IPS *should* detect ssh on non standard ports. I know bleeding snort does...

If you're firewall/gateway is good enough... it'll have protocol/applicaiton filtering too.
    Not all firewalls block just on src. dest. rules.

Basically... if you try it on anyone's network with half a brain... they'll see your attempts.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I thought...

I figured that port 22 was blocked. That was obvious.
    I was just thinking that I could set putty up to make the request over port 80. Thence my ssh tunnel would be entering through port 80, unobstructed.... I guess that I was wrong. The server that I'm trying to connect to must also be set to communicate through port 80 for ssh as well then.
    Atleast, I think...

There's no way that the admins here will unblock ssh, simply, because we don't use it.

This basically means that I can't use UNIX/Linux at work whatsoever then ....

I really need shell access to practice, I instaled Cygwin... but it's not the same...

I might just have to use vmware player and run a live distro while in Winblows but an encrypted tunnel would be much nicer.

If you guys have anymore ideas then PLEASE don't hesitate so that I can try them....

Thanks for the assists.

Just Another Geek
    Shouldn't you be doing your job when you're at work? If getting shell practice is job related I'm sure your boss wouldn't mind it if you installed vmware/virtualpc. Or ask for another PC to play with..

I have to ask though, why would an encrypted tunnel be nicer then a fully blown *nix install to play with? Sounds like you want to do something else besides getting "shell practice"?!?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AOs Resident Troll
    This basically means that I can't use UNIX/Linux at work whatsoever then
    Why not ask the admins.....they usually handle the setup of computers and the OS running them...at least I do.....I just dont allow users to say I want to run linux and set a linux box up....or install it on thier WS....that would be a big no no...its against the companies AUP....now if they approached me and said...hey I want to install a *nix box cause we could run this program and it would save us money blah blah blah....I would probably go for it.....cause some of our stuff is going web based any way....OS doesnt matter

I really need shell access to practice, I instaled Cygwin... but it's not the same...
    If you guys have anymore ideas then PLEASE don't hesitate so that I can try them....
    Practice on your own network

MLF

TCP Wrapper and SSH Port Forwarding for 1000 Alex.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.