Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server Messed up

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Server Messed up

Guys i need an urgent help here.....

After uploading the new server by my senior the old one is not working, the old one was the PDC running AD, DNS and DHCP he run dcpromo on new one selected additional domain controller option AD got copied in the new one..... He took the old one out of network put the new one there and then remove the AD with dcpromo /forceremove and DNS and DHCP from the old one and re-instered it in the network...... Now this old system is not coming on the network i mean one can ping host from here but no one can access this computer...... Both running windows 2003....... I need this computer to be running as a client in the network as ther internal database is runnning on the computer.

WHen i try to join this computer on domain i get this message " A domain contorller for the domain abc.com could not be contacted. ENsure the domain name is type correctly."

Although i am writing the domain name correctly..... Need urgent help here guys.....

When i try to access this computer from other clients of even server i get the message " No network Provider accepted the given network path"
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Normally, whenver I've had this issue, It was becuase of one of two reasons:

1. The specified DNS server was unavailable.
    2. The network properties of the active NIC were incorrect.

I'm thinking just from experience and not searching the web.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Its purley something to do with the new server configuration i think when the AD and other things were copied into it.....something might have left behind during that operation and its making trouble....... WHen i look into the DNS and other entries it was showing that the old server is domain controller although the old one is not on network anymore and even the Dns and AD things has been wiped off from it....

NOw i would be interested to know if there are any tools and utilities available for repairing these issues. I have searched over the net and could not find such things.

Although the domain is there and DHCP too but the two things i have noticed in current setup are: -

1) NO new node can be join on this domain, i mean whenever i try to join a new computer i get the messege, the drectory services are unavailable sort of thing.
    2) WHen i try to ping the server itself, the DNS resolve the IP of my DSL line, although it should return me the LAN IP not the router's IP.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Fanacool,
    Have you changed the new server to be the Global Catalog? I think when you run dcpromo and add an additional domain controller, it assumes you want to keep the original server as the Global Catalog.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I didnot done it ..... Its my senior and i am sure he doesnot followed the procedures well and keeping old server as GC he might have missed it....... If this is what he has done, what are the steps to make the new server working smoothly or rather i would say perfectly, as I have mentioned its not let'ing any new Nodes on the network.

Fanacool,
    Demotions that are performed by using the dcpromo /forceremoval command leave FSMO roles in an invalid state until they are reassigned by an administrator.
    In addition to tranferring the GC, Did your senior transfer the FSMO roles to the new server?

You might tell him he needs to transfer all the roles to the new server. I'm assuming you now only want one Domain Controller?
    To transfer the FSMO roles, read this article.
    To transfer the GC:
    Promote 2003 computer to a global catalog server. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Sites and Services.
    b. Expand Sites, expand Default-First-Site-Name, expand Servers, expand your SBS 2003 computer, right-click NTDS Settings, and then click Properties.
    c. Click the General tab, click to select the Global catalog check box to assign the role of global catalog to this computer, and then click OK.
    d. Restart the computer.

Note Wait for the account and the schema information to replicate to the new global catalog server. Wait for event 1119 or event 1869 to be logged in the Directory Services event log with a description that states that the computer is now advertising itself as a global catalog server.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I will try this and will let you know the results.
    Thanks in advance.

ShagDevil

Event 1119 occured and its written there that the server is now global catalog server..... Now there is one more event coming contineously, i am attaching that log please refer it and let me know what it it?

Fanacool,
    Ok, I noticed some anamolies here. For starters, it is important that
    you are only running one domain controller. The reason being is that I told you to transfer all
    roles to the one DC. This means, all FSMO roles and the GC should be on one DC. One of the FSMO
    roles is the Domain Naming Master (which I'm not sure if that might the cause of your Event ID 1925).
    If you only have one DC, all the roles should be placed on that DC. If you have multiple DC's, then
    it is recommended that you place the GC, Schema master and the Domain Naming master on one DC and the Infrastructure master, RID master and PDC emulator should be on a different DC. If you haven't transfered the FSMO's to your DC, I suggest you do that (from the link I provided above). Just changin the GC won't suffice.
    Again, I'm assuming you are only using one DC. Let me know how this goes.

Well let me tell you few things again..... there was and old sever say suppose OLDSRV and it has all the AD and DNS things in it..... the new server NEWSRV was deployed using additional domain controller and soon after AD got copied and DNS settings in it, OLDSRV was taken out from the network, dcpromo and everything wipe out from it and the only server on the network is NEWSRV.

I have made this new server Global catalog and manually deleted all the entries of the previous server...... Now i just opened the AD sites and directory and expanding the deafil-first-sites and then servers i saw 2 old servers there too.

On the NDTS replicaiton its saying in the log that unable to find FSMO role the current FSMO owner not found.

So what should i do now? i mean how can i delete the old entries of the server as they are no longer on the network.