Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Server Messed up

Evidently your senior does not follow a task checklist when doing something as important as a depromotion/promotion of a DC. (we all make mistakes)

Let's assume you set the new Domain Controllers TCP/IP DNS settings to look at ITSELF. You did do this, didn't you? Go check it in the NIC settings.

(I'll also assume since the promotion, that you've rebooted the machine once or twice.)

First run Netdiag at the command line. Copy and paste the results to notepad and see if anything needs correction.

If all is well,

Then run DCdiag at the command line. Copy and paste..........

You know the drill.

Edit: Here's a specific FSMO command: DCdiag /test:Knowsofroleholders /v

Also find out more FSMO here: FSMO Role finding
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Forgot to answer your "how do I delete old AD info on new DC"

Too much to type, just go here: Cleanup old AD info in new DC

(wonder why your senior forcefully removed the old DC?? **puzzled**)
    ZT3000
    Beta tester of "0"s and "1"s"

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Fanacool,
    I'm going to agree with ZT3000 in that your senior should have planned this better.
    Your current situation: OLDSRV removed, NEWSRV added via Dcpromo as an Additonal Domain Controller (AD & DNS copied over). Now you're getting error messages (understandably) because the OLDSRV was removed before the FSMO roles were transferred. Now you have a GC on the NEWSRV but no FSMO roles.
    What should have happened: NEWSRV should have been added via Dcpromo, GC & FSMO roles should have been transferred to NEWSRV, then OLDSRV should have been removed.

I'm going to have to check into this some more. I'm at work right now so I won't be able to give you any in-depth anwers as of yet. Try a few suggestions ZT3000 has mentioned. I'm not entirely sure if seizing the FSMO roles will work at this point. Talk soon.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Fanacool,
    Ok. Did some research. Seems that if you didn't transfer the FSMO roles to the new server before taking the old server offline, you'll have to seize the FSMO roles rather than transfer them.
    You can transfer all five FSMO roles through the MMC tool in Windows 2000. In order for a transfer to work both computers must be available on-line. If a computer no longer exists, then the role must be seized. To seize a role, you must use a utility called Ntdsutil
    From this article. (I'm assuming this is also true for Windows 2003 Servers).
    You can read how to seize the FSMO roles here
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Hi guyz

Ok I got busy in another project and didn't got time to take a look at the issue...... Now i have tried every possible option i can on this but still the problems remains there...... Ok when i go to sieze the FSMO roles..... or simply use the ntdsutil when i try to connect to the server or hte domain i get the error message 80070057 parsing input - illegal syntax?

So i am unable to proceed further......

Please help here...... i am begining to loose hope

My mistake here ..... i was writing the syntax wrong...... was able to connect to the domain controller and sieze the role. I will let you know the results later
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Hey things are back to normal again..... although there is one issue but the main one is resolved and now i can see the server as PDC, Schema Master e.t.c. User's account can be created in AD and new computers can also now be join on the domain.

Its been really a learning experience for me........ Thanks to all of you..... Specaially Shag Devil

GOD Bless You All.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

Fanacool,
    No problem buddy. Glad to hear you resolved all your issues. Sorry it took me so long to reply. been quite busy on my own network. Go figure. The same week I was talking to you, the server on my network crashed (hardrive got corrupted) and we suffered some major issues. Not only that but, it happened during the middle of the work day when everyone was depending on the network. In a nut shell, we basically transferred everything to our new server, re-configured every client and basically got 46 ulcers in the process. It was an IT's guys worst nightmare.
    Not taking any chances this time. Now we got two brand new servers with redundancy, and are using the nifty new DFS features in Windows 2003 Server. File replication, domain based file shares so that if one server goes down, people can still work on their files on the other server.
    joygasm.
    Fanacool, trust me. If you don't want to go clinically insane, I highly recommend your senior purchases another server and set up redundancy. You don't ever want to go thorugh what I did. In any event, good luck.

Luckily there is a budget of another server for us here, but at the moment Managment willl not go for it......I do have an internal server dunning the Database (SQL) being accessed only internally, Its running Windows 2000 advanced server so I need to switch it to Windows 2003 in order to avail that Distributed File System.