Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on purchasing a laptop

Advice on purchasing a laptop

OK, so in a bizarre twist of fate, a friend has agreed to buy me any laptop no money limit!

However, I don't know a lot about laptops; so here I am.

I want to use it to stord dasa and e-books (and whatnot), music, etc. But I would also like to use it to code, write and calculate extremely complex math problems.

So "ideally" it would have two processors, a lot of hard drive space, and decent RAM (the more the merrier )...but I have no clue which companies are good and bad as far as laptops are concerned.

I hear anecdotally that Gateways, and HPs are bad for laptops; the better ones were AlienWare, Dell, and IBM (ThinkPad).

Any advice on laptops would be welcomed.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    IBM and Toshiba are by far the best...

However I've heard that Acer is pretty good nowadays... Dell's aren't bad and I'm neutral on HP's... Stay away from anything bearing the Gateway logo...

I'd go with IBM or Toshiba...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

What is so wrong with Gateway? Just curious. I've never had and *major* issue with their harware. However, my experience with them is limited.

I use both Dell and HP for my laptop vendors.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Gateway uses a vast amount of proprietary hardware (and I've even heard software) and they're customer support is very shady when it comes to warranties... They've been going downhill for quite some time now...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

T3h Ch3F

Mac

I would buy a Mac Powerbook.

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

Galdron
    said:

I would buy a Mac Powerbook.
    I would probably do the same.............chance to learn at no cost?..............I would find it hard to justify the cost of a MAC otherwise

A craptop?.............well "chacun a son goute" as they say?

T3h Ch3F

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Originally posted here by Arkimedes
    So my friends and I, being the betting coders we are, have agreed to a wager: whoever makes the most novel operating system wins the bet.

We can use command line kernels like DOS or 'nux. But the problem is making something unique and different.

I was thinking about making each file represented by a fish, and each folder be a school of fish; the OS would be coral reefs, being necessary to keep the other things living. Then I realized this was too complicated.

So I thought about a Java OS that runs itself! A sort of bootstrap of an OS. Then I heard that JNode did this

So then I thought about an OS sorta like the internet, except instead of websites there would be specific locations in RAM, and that the OS is entirely dependent on RAM with the exception of a start up. It evolves in ram depending on the circumstances. But I have no idea how I would even start doing this!

So, I have ran out of ideas! Any Help on making a unique and different OS would be greatly appreciated!

Arkimedes-

Not trying to be an ass, yet after reading all of your posts, I am a little confused by your Laptop Question. You want to write a Unique OS and you are an "Old School Coder". Yet you are posting that you don't know much about laptops.

Dude I suggest reading up on reviews which can be found all over the web. With all your Coding Java, Nix experience this should not be too much of a problem.

......................................................???????????????????

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

if money is no object..........go for alienware

http://www.alienware.com/Intro_Pages...px?source=1925
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Well, I would rather ask you, how would you use this laptop and what for? .... I don't think investing heavily on a laptop is a good idea unless you really find a resonable usage ... otherwise you would be wasting money ....

Anyways .... HP Compaq has always been a good choice ....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

I am sorry if I sound a little rude or testy in my reply, I got five minutes of sleep last night (huzzzah for coffee! ).

Originally posted here by Galdron
    Arkimedes-

Not trying to be an ass, yet after reading all of your posts, I am a little confused by your Laptop Question. You want to write a Unique OS and you are an "Old School Coder". Yet you are posting that you don't know much about laptops.
    Haven't you ever made a "bet" before? If you had actually read my post on making a unique OS, you would've read that it was out of a bet. (Hence the first line being "So my friends and I, being the betting coders we are, have agreed to a wager: whoever makes the most novel operating system wins the bet.").

That's how I got the choice of a laptop where money is no problem. I found it to be easier to modify a Linux kernel, and that technically wasn't against the rules of the bet. So I turned in something that resembled SuSe and my friends turned in half working command line interfaces...so I won the bet.

What can I say, I'm a sporting man

Originally posted here by Black Cluster
    Well, I would rather ask you, how would you use this laptop and what for? .... I don't think investing heavily on a laptop is a good idea unless you really find a resonable usage ... otherwise you would be wasting money ....
    Well...
    Originally posted here by Arkimedes

I want to use it to stord data and e-books (and whatnot), music, etc. But I would also like to use it to code, write and calculate extremely complex math problems.
    I am, "by trade", a physicist that's why there will be the "extremely complex math problems", the e-Books (and technical articles), and the writing/coding...and possibly playing tetris, so I look busy and hardworking