Thread: Vista and Antivirus

Vista and Antivirus

Hello cyberworld

So as many of you I've intstalled Windows Vista Beta 2 and started testing it.
    For me (I've got it running on a brand new dual core laptop) it's running great, it's very fast, and surprisingly stable for being a Beta, I haven't found any major bugs yet, maybe some annoyances but that could be just me.

Anyway ... Since Microsoft decided not to include an antivirus , I need to install one myself, now ok ...Which one I thought... Since the Antivirus solution (Mcafee enterprise 8i) I use for my other boxes at the moment, doesn't realy work on Vista (It can be installed, but doesn't do automatic updates and the on-access scan isn't reliable), I needed to find a (temporary) replacement.

So I went searching, seems like CA has a free antivirus version that works on Vista, you have to register and you get a mail with instructions, website HERE .

Also TrendMicro seems to offer antivirus for Vista (what a surprise right ) as can be seen HERE .

These 2 are the ones I'm sure about the support for Vista, Mcafee has some beta antivirus ready (or almost I'm not sure) that would also work on Vista.

Has anybody got any other experience with antivirus or experience with the ones mentioned ?

Thanks,

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Hi,

Avast! do one as well:

http://www.avast.com/

Sweet thnx ...How could I forget avast

And they have a free home edition too !!

.C.

Remember Microsoft is working with CA to offer the free eTrust home edition. So out of all the versions, that may be the most compat. I have been using eTrust for about 2 - 3 years now and have no complaints.

as for me...

spybot refused to update,
    avast refused to update,
    tuneup refused to make changes or clean the registry,
    norton didnt want to get installed,
    adware (lavasoft) didnt do much.
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Well ...By now I've installed the newest home version of Avast, it installed fine and is updated to, scanned some external disk with software I had lying around and found a trojan hidden in some files ... So everything seems ok.

Did a full scan of the system to ... just to see if that works ... and it did just fine.

Alot of the existing programs (antivirus, antispyware, etc...) don't work anymore with Vista. It will be an expensive update for every firm that's going to implement Vista, regardless if they update the existing applications that need to be run on Vista or buy new ones.

I bet that most firms will ride XP out as long as possible ... and I wouldn't blame 'em.

.C.

I just Installed EZ Antivirus from CA and it installed easily and is running sweetly without any glitches

Thanks for the info to find which antivirus works with Vista and where to get it