Thread: Router help with DSL.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

Help! Help! Help

Hello fellow members of AO. I need some assistance in resolving an issue. I am currently trying to install a wireless router, Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router. To, two desktop PC's and one wireless laptop in a Doctors office. The Doctors office is running Sprint ADSL service sprint modem 645 series. I go through the steps the router instructs to do, it gets to 99% (step 3) and then it starts all over again.

Now, when I take it to my house which I also have 2 computers and the same sprint 645 modem I am able to install the wireless router within two minutes and have no promblems at all. Desktop PC works great so does the wireless with an excellent signal range.

This makes me think its a computer setting / configuration. The systems at the doctors office are static.

I tried several things: Installing the CD that came with the router. Again, followed all the steps never able to get past 99%.

Tried installing through the routers GUI.

Reset modem, routers countless times.

When I issue ipconfig /all to obtain 'Windows IP Configuration' it shows it's getting an IP address assigned by the router.

Open web browser try to surf page 'cannot be displayed.'

Tried to get email cant do that. Unable to find mail servers.

I configured the router to assign static addresses to the system. Didnt work. Next tried dynamic assigning still no luck.

Try to ping by IP address I don't get a reply. I try to ping by domain name (www.google.com)still not reply. However, the wireless system surfs the net perfect the two ethernet desktop PCs cannot surf the web.

Downloaded the linksys software from their website those 3 applications where it configures it for you. Didn't work.

After doing everything that I knew I called tech support as a last result.

I called Linksys tech support they informed me that the modem needed to be bridged first. So I briged the sprint 645 modem and still wasnt working. Next called sprint they walked me through bridging the modem (same steps I just did) I got off the phone with them, called Linksys back after being on the phone for an hour I was informed by another tech that the modem didn't need to be bridged. So from here I am getting two different answers. After trying all the steps linksys could provide still didnt resolve the issue.

The Linksys tech said to take it back after two hours of being on the phone. but I cant return it to the store I bought it from. So anyone have any ideas as to what configuration/settings I am missing? All systems are running windows XP pro with SP2. All browsers are IE.

This is a very simple job but its been one big hassle from day 1. Like I said take the router home hook it up all systems are surfing the net within two minutes. Doctors just not working.

Also, only reason I purchased linksys because thats whats installed in their other office but they have comcast cable instead of dsl. I would have recommended netgear over linksys.

Now, the doctors office orginal tech recommended the belkin router from home depot for 39.99 but I have had bad reviews about belkins? PLease help. All help is greatly appreciated.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What you are describing sounds like a defective router (similar to an experience I had with a linksys as well and ended up returning it for that exact reason). Why can't you return the router to where youv'e bought it? Also, have you updated the firmware?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    The routers firmware is up-to-date. Cannot take back router because it's been past 28 days. After that it's not refundable.

Again, I am able to get it working here at my house but not at the doctors office. I don't want to buy another router if its not neccessary? Any ideas? Can you recommend a good wireless router for under 100.00 bucks? I say netgear but their 'original tech' recommends the 'Belkin'. All help is greatly appreciated.

I've moved this to Hardware where you have a better shot of receiving help, and changed the name to be aslightly more descriptive again to get you better help. Maybe someone who works with these brands of Routers will be able to see it and get you a hand.

I'd help but the only Linksys stuff I have is a Cisco Switch. Other than that I use D-Link.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Computernerd22
    The routers firmware is up-to-date. Cannot take back router because it's been past 28 days. After that it's not refundable.

Have you asked about exchange (not refundable necessarily)? What's the full version/model number with the firmware? (I just realized that the one you're referring to is the one I had issues with -- try to get 1.0 or 1.1 not the 2.0)

As for a decent router under 100, a NetGear, D-Link or a Belkin would be doable. I have a Belkin and it was quick setup.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    When I issue ipconfig /all to obtain 'Windows IP Configuration' it shows it's getting an IP address assigned by the router.
    Open web browser try to surf page 'cannot be displayed.'
    Tried to get email cant do that. Unable to find mail servers.
    This may sounds like a really dumb question but, I have to ask.
    Is the router receiving an IP address from the cable modem? Occasionally, I have to do a DHCP release/renew on my router. As for the wireless working and the ethernet not, are you positive your wireless connection is to your router?
    Again, I know these are simple questions but, I'm just trying to get a feel for your situation.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    try AIRGAPPING the modem that is unplugging all the cables from the back of the modem AND the router for a FULL 2 minutes then plug them in again. get the MAC address of the router and enter it at www.coffer.com and make sure that the sprint network is seeing it. also, as far as I know and I work for a well known or well hated company depending on how you look at it lol. ALL of our modem DO have to be in bridge mode. you may have bound the mac address from all the switching between pc's. Make sure you do a ipconfig release/renew from the command prompt on the pc's AND from 192.168.1.1 in the router. hope this basic info helps. later man.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Also, only reason I purchased linksys because thats whats installed in their other office but they have comcast cable instead of dsl. I would have recommended netgear over linksys.
    Bah the WRT is the best thing going. ESPECIALLY when your flash dd-wrt linux (but thats another story)

You got so much **** screwed up there you have to start from day 1. Reset DSL router to factor condition. Hook a PC up to it and record the address it gives you AND the Nameservers. Tracerout www.cisco.com (because cisco makes the kick ass WRT series). Record your trace. This will show you the DSL routers gateway. They had you changing all that **** on the DSL rounter for some reason that does not make sense. Because YOU stated your wireless connections worked fine but the ehternet connection did not. But regardless you now have the DSL modem working on a single pc and you know through trace route and IP assignment it's nameserver, it's gateway and at least one clear path to Cisco.com. Take the same pc configured for DHCP off the DSL router. Now plug your WRT into the designated port on the DSL modem for routers, if there is one, of not just plug it in. OH, reset that WRT to factory default BEFORE you do that. Just hold in that reset button on the back for a few minutes. Connect your PC and let it pull an ip through ethernet. It should come from the WRT. You said it was pulling the "correct" ip from the WRT. That means it is in the upper block of that range meaning X.X.X.100. Verify this. Not sure why the DSL needs to be bridged for simple internet surfing. The DSL should nat it's internal interface and the WRT should nat it again. But if that is not the case you bridge the DSL and NAT the WRT in many cases.

But since this is old and the problem may be resolved I'll stop. But next your would use that pc on ehternet to trace the the name servers your recorded earlier. if they resopond the link from the WRT through the DSL is fine. At least with that single PC. You did hook the PCs to the WRT router right? If you leave them on the DSL then bridge it, no good.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.