What is up with Gentoo?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is up with Gentoo?

What is up with Gentoo?

I've decided against my better judgement and decided I'd give Gentoo another shot.

OK, no biggie... Looking over on the Gentoo page to get it, unless I want the "Bend over for 3 days" install, I can't use X86?

I see PPC, I see Sparc, I don't see X86....

And looking over a few reviews, it seems they have changed most commands by ONE letter..... Why? For people who were used to it, this had to be a PITA. I'm not sure why I'm even bothering, I have Slackware, SUSE and FreeBSD boxes here working fine but wanted to take it for a spin, but it seems they have gone out of their way to make it harder than it needs to be.

I'm not afraid of OS installs by any means, but changing how things work by one letter is just stupid.

I know there are Gentoo users here, how the hell do you stand by this crap watching it slowly go down the drain? Why would I really want to install it? Should I bother?

Looking forward to some elitist popping in to say why Gentoo is the reason we are close to curing cancer,

-gore.

EDIT:

I just looked over the install part... I then did ^C on the wget download. This is just mind numbing idiocy.

Next commend:

rm -rf live{TAB}{ENTER}

wget ftp.freebsd.org....

Leaving this open, if someone sways my decision I'll download it again. Besides it lets me waste their bandwidth.

Gentoo reminds me of pre GUI install and pre RPM.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Developer Extraordinar
    Gentoo is a very good system. I've used it, and I really enjoyed it.

Moving on. It seems like you went into the whole ordeal with the attitude that Gentoo was a terrible thing and it was going to be terribly hard. Obviously you didn't look around the Gentoo website the very hard, or you would have found:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...ndbook-x86.xml
    Three Chapters down to:
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=1&chap=3 which is the x86 "GUI" install that you were complaining that Gentoo didn't offer to x86.

Why wouldn't they offer GUI to x86, probably their biggest platform? Did you bother looking at the docs, or did you just dive right in, and assume a bunch of things? Here, I'll even give you the download:

http://bouncer.gentoo.org/?product=g...-livecd&os=x86

Good luck installing Gentoo, it's a great system

enmand
    Come to UnError.com

Gentoo does lack a good Red Hat style graphical installation interface. And considering you compile the very install from source after bootstrapping I can see why. This would make gentoo more efficient than binary based installs. At a core level.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Burn, quick thing, I went over the website, there was a message there saying X86 had a problem and was being worked on. Please don't make assumptions that I make assumptions. I went over three different areas of their docs, which is why I was disgusted that a lot of the commands were edited by ONE letter.

Road:

Try ROCKLinux. It's what Gentoo took the idea of a source distro from. ROCK Linux does the mini install do it yourself then install the rest from the net, I have a copy here if you need one as the mirrors can be slow. Just let me know.

Gentoo is, er.. "alright".
    There's a few changes being put into motion, they have a GUI install out but it's still buggy, and overall it looks like they've grown beyond their scaling capacity, which means they need to break down the current dev hierarchy and make a new one.

*shrug* Once installed I do like it a hell of a lot better than other distros though, I find the package management extremely easy, and I love the community.

[edit : Gentoo is the reason we are close to curing cancer.]
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

trevoke, you and Shrekkie are the only two Gentoo people I've ever gotten along with. And even then, me and Shrekkie have had our differences, as have you and I, but you and me looked past that and we get along good now.

That's one of the reasons whenever you needed a hand I've been there with mine.

I've been thinking about using Gentoo again for a while, and I didn't go into it thinking to myself they suck anyway. which I dno't do period. I went in thinking Ok it's been a while they have a new release, maybe they have done something about what it used to be and it would be better.

There seemed to be a problem with the X86 version, I was looking over the Cds you can order and it wasn't there either.

I don't want stage 1 for sure. I really don't care if Gaim and Vi load .5 seconds faster. I was looking for the precompiled ready to go version which seems to be a problem.

EDIT:

Have you installed Detuxx yet? The lasty I heard you said you wussed out lol.

also for package management, the reason it works well, is because it's basically BSD. And they have had over 20 years which is why it's good, and Gentoo borrowed from it heavily.

I haven't reformatted in almost 3 weeks and it's drivign me nuts which is why I was going to give Gentoo a shot, and so I decided hmm, OK, I've been using SUSE, Slackware, and BSD for like 3 months now.

One thing cannot ignore about gentoo. It's a NON commercial distro. Cut it some slack.
    West of House

I did wuss out for Dettux, but not before learning a scary amount of things about dependencies and the such

Gore : stage1 is officially not supported anymore. stage3 is the only one supported in the documentation. I didn't know they had problems; obviously the timing blows, what can I say, maybe it's Gentoo who doesn't like you!

I'm not sure what to tell you.
    From the Gentoo official website (you probably know these URLs already..)
    http://bouncer.gentoo.org/?product=g...minimal&os=x86
    http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml

I can only wish you luck in finding the CD you need.

And yes, the package management is heavily borrowed from BSD and Debian. I don't knock 'em, I just like the way they handle it better (shiny CLI display).
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Howdy.

about 4 days ago, i downloaded Gentoo, i briefly looked at the doc's at various sites, etc etc i got it installed, after a few attempts.

Haven't had much time to play around with it since, just gotta get some spare time..

but it does indeed look promising enough, i just gotta get used to it.

f2B