Thread: internet security

internet security

Hi i would like a bit of advice, i just installed kaspersky internet security 2006 with all protection options enabled, so i went to www.hackerwatch.org/probe and tried there firewall test, after a few minutes the results came back as all ports are secure and im completely invisible on the internet, my question is this can i improve upon my security by installing more security software to run alongside kaspersky and will it conflict if i do install anything, and 1 last thing hackerwatch sayd im completely invisible on the internet, well is this at all possible, surely some hacker somwhere cud still get in if they wanted to.

Thanks Phil

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Would you use two umbrellas to keep the rain off you?

Would you pay your mortgage twice?

If the answer to either question is "yes" then you need more protection...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Well, I do know that you shouldn't run more than one firewall or antivirus at a time due to the potential for conflicts.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Jackal,

Additionally, they have not been very honest with you. You are not invisible as they would indicate. It only means that the packets are being dropped or redirected to never-never land. Here's a more detailed explanation and similar topics: Click Here

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I must say I ran that test with all my firewalls OFF and it still said I was TOTALLY invisable that makes me doubt the results of that test.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

surely some hacker somwhere cud still get in if they wanted to.
    Even if you are dropping connection attempts, this does not mean you are invulnerable. For instance, if you have an unpatched vulnerability in the web browser you're using, and you connect to a "dodgy" site which runs an exploit for that security hole, you could be compromised. That is why a good firewall and antivirus is only part of having a secure system. The other part is keeping your system patched, and avoiding problematic sites and practices in the first place.

It's kind of like installing reinforced steel doors in your house for your front and back doors and then letting a burglar in by leaving a window open.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Talking

Thanks for yr replies ppl i think ill stick with just using kaspersky on its own

I might need two umbrellas if I were a Siamese twin or pay twice to own my home sooner. And I just happen to run multiple firewalls in the intranet.

To answer the question "Am I invisible?" NO, not ever!

Consider an ISP which responds to probes to unallocated IP's with ICMP's. In such a case, where your box drops probes silent and stealthy-like, it is actually screaming "Here I AM."

Do try to turn off all unnecessary services regardless of how many walls you want to employ. A misdirected tcp packet to a closed port ain't gonna give'm nothing but an tcp reset anyhow. I used to head on over to G R C dot C0M and run the "Probe My Ports" thingy way back when. Nowadays I like to be seen by all them Internet peepin' zombies. Seein' their I-balls swell and that lo-brawl shell is good clean fun.

Oh and don't forget to pay attention to what your wall allows out. It can be just as important as what you do or don't let in. I think G R C dot C0M had some kinda "Leak Test" too.
    Eating Crow Is Better With MyCrowSauce