Thread: RICHTX32.OCX Issue

RICHTX32.OCX Issue

First and foremost, please excuse my rather evident newbie-ism. That aside, I have a question I'm really rather ashamed of... I've been playing around on try2hack.nl, trying to learn a thing or two. level 6 requires the use of compiled VB program. I downloaded the program, and downloaded the VB 6 runtimes from Microsoft. Now I have my problem, though. I try to run the program (with the VB runtimes installed and SP 6) and I receive the following error: "Component 'RICHTX32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." So the first thing I did was the obvious. I checked to make sure I *had* RICHTX32.OCX and that it was in the rigt place. It was. SO I did a little googling, and it told me to run regsvr32. So I did. I ran the command "regsvr32 c:\WINDOWS\system32\RICHTX32.OCX". And then the error popped up: "'c:\WINDOWS\system32\RICHTX32.OCX' is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this type of file." I did some more googling, and it appears as though nobody else has had that problem. I tried re-installing the VB Runtime, with and without the Service Packs. Still nothing. I'm sure I don't need this file to beat level 6, but de-compiling seem so... unelegant. I'd rather take the sniffing route to solving this problem, and I refuse to jump to level 7 with a spoiler. If someone would please help me out, I'd be much obliged.

Thank you.

Sounds like the file is corrupted. It appears to be available at various
    places on the net for download, but you could first try the cab files
    on your windows installation disk.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I tried that. I'm still getting the same error. I really can't figure this out...
    Judas said to him: \"I know who you are and where you have come from. You are from the immortal realm of Barbelo, and I am not worthy to utter the name of the one who has sent you.\"