Thread: Securing Partitions

Securing Partitions

ok, so I have a usb hard drive with four partitions, I want to give my friend the drive so he can copy some stuff of one of the partitions. The thing is I dont want him to be able to view the other partitions.
    What is the easiest way in doing this?
    Thanks

Just Another Geek
    Buy another USB stick.. They're not that expensive..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Howdy.

Do you have Multiple Operating Systems installed on the hard drive? If so then maybe password protect the boot loader..

more details on the usb drive if possible.

f2B

Sorry i should have been more clear about the drive. It a 2.5 inch laptop drive with a USB connection.
    Yes I have XP / SuSe installed on it.
    I just want to encrypt two of the partitions so they cant be viewed.
    Thanks

Ok..

Ok i take it that the friend is going to boot up the computer using there own Drive, then plug the USB drive in and a Virtual Drive will appear in My Computer?

If that is the case then just make the XP and Suse partitions as Hidden, that way when he plugs it in they will not show up.

Also as an extra measure, password protect your boot loader, that way if he tries to boot up using the USB drive, he will get greated with a password prompt..

just some ideas.

cheers
    f2B

Ill try that.
    Thanks for your help

Of course if he has some skill in computers and he really wants to see what else you have on the key he will just unhide the partitions. The only real way to be sure that he will not get information you do not want him to have is to make sure it is not on there. I would either go with a second usb key or burn a CD/DVD with what you want him to have. Or you could go to his place plug in the key yourself copy what he needs and take the key away with you.

Cheers,
    Muracu
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

See also http://www.surasoft.com/articles/xpefs.php.

It basically says to create multiple users, and use one of the accounts to encrypt the data using the NTFS filesystem. The encrypted data is only accessible to that account.

If the partitions you want to encrypt were created under XP, you can convert them to NTFS and encrypt them using the methods described on the surasoft site.

See MS' article on converting FAT to NTFS at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...onvertfat.mspx
    Misery is not my friend, but I\'ll break before I bend.

Ideally, You would only provide him with the data that he needs...Why not just burn it to a CD?
    Sure you can use something like TrueCrypt for XP to encrypt various partitions, but what happens if he accidently (or intentionally) destroyed some of those encrypted partitions?
    Solution...Buy a 15 cent round piece of plastic to write his data too...
    We are a generation without a middle. We have no great war or depression. Our war is a spiritual one, our depression is our lives. We were all raised to believe that we\'ll all be millionaires and rockstars - But we won\'t.
    And we are slowly learning this fact...And we are VERY pissed off about it!