Hi keezel

This sort of relates to the comments TheDuck and I were having about the relative development stages of hardware and software.

A 64 bit dual core is faster than a 32 bit single core, but there isn't much that really takes full advantage of the technology.

I guess you need to ask yourself when you are going to go to Vista, and, more importantly, what flavour of Vista? If your answer is "sooner" rather than "later" then you need to buy with that in mind.

You would really need to look at the detailed requirements of the types of games you like to play.

There are four basic factors:

1. RAM quantity and speed
2. Video card (particularly frame rate)
3. Processor
4. Screen

Some games are more memory intensive, whilst others are video intensive. In this respect also bear in mind that RAM is an easy upgrade whilst the video is not, as you will be left with an old card with little second user value.

I read a review a few months back (in a magazine) that compared various options for gaming. Their conclusion was that the processor was the least significant factor in performance once you had crossed the threshold level for the particular game ( that's the "recommended" not the "minimum" ).

Also, don't forget the screen and screen resolution/refresh. A good video card is a waste of money unless you have a display that supports it.

The problem with laptops is that the screen is a limiting factor, particularly as they tend to have an optimum setting. This will tend to be reflected in the video card options you are offered.

I guess that when it comes to gaming, laptops still have a way to go to match desktop equipment that is available.