Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The RETURN of IRC

Hybrid View

Computer Forensics

The RETURN of IRC

Antionline IRC has returned! A select few of us see the unique value a live chat brings to our community here so from the ashes of infamy rises AntiOnline IRC.

Want to talk about an antionline thread in real time with other community members?

Want to talk about your latest security adventures?

Have a question that needs to be answered?

Come up with a new idea for a tutorial and want some help?

Want to hear what others are working on?

Connect to irc.freenode.net #antionline and help rekindle the live security discussions that helped originally build this community. We're just getting restarted but it will take your participation to make it succeed. So, join us and share your knowledge.

*NOTE this is the Unofficial Offical IRC channel and as such is not officially endorsed by Jupiter Media*
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

I read this with interest. Is there an AO channel now or not? I spend a lot of time on IRC, idling in many channels. I use Tor on freenode and donate bandwidth to help the project. In fact, I've got a nice custom hostmask

I find the biggest problem associated with newcomers to IRC is the assumption by the MSN community that channels are places where people join, talk and then leave. It isn't like AIM, Yahoo or MSN and IMHO it's so much better for that! My PC is on 24/7, I do lots of things on it - of course I'm not going to be chatting non stop in any one channel all the time! Channels become strong because people are prepared to idle. My name is on highlight so if someone mentions it I can respond (assuming I'm on the PC). Query messages highlight so I'd respond to a PM in a similar way.

IM clients irritate me in the sense that you're in the middle of doing something and frequently get interrupted by someone who, if they don't get a reply within seconds comes back at you with "Why are you ignoring me ????????" or similar. In an irc channel, you don't feel obliged to talk because the chances are someone else is around too, so it's much more relaxed. You might get an answer half an hour after asking a question - and that's OK. It's not a telephone line. It's just a great way of learning things, getting instant help and talking to people real time. But it's also somewhere you respect the fact that people are not just there to instantly talk if you happen to join the channel.

You get a feel for IRC and interesting channels have plenty of chat, but there's nothing wrong with a couple of hours complete silence. Mirc sits in my system tray, a line of communication. It works and it's one of the many tasks I'm performing here at any one time. My nick is also there when I'm at work or in bed.

If there was still a channel around I'd be interested in joining - I'm on freenode anyway. Anyone still go there?
    Last edited by Moira; December 2nd, 2006 at 07:42 PM.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Antionline Herpetologist
    You might want to try irc.anewerairc.net or irc.smdc-network.org . They're both run by (ex?) AO members and are pretty decent. I'm on both occasionally. Nothing like the original AO IRC, though . It used to be amazing, actually. The best IRC channel I've had. High volume, generally knowledgeable members and very high signal to noise ratio. There were one or two assh***es around, but you get that everywhere.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Thanks, will give that a go. Yeah you get *******s everywhere, pity about the original AO channel. You never know, we might get something going eventually, again. What channels do you recommend on those servers?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Antionline Herpetologist
    It's pretty much only #lobby on both those servers. And the conversation's not really security based, but if someone raises the topic, there are usually enough people who can contribute significantly to any discussion on security.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cgkanchi
    It's pretty much only #lobby on both those servers. And the conversation's not really security based, but if someone raises the topic, there are usually enough people who can contribute significantly to any discussion on security.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Meh... On ANewEraIRC, the technical discussions tend to become homosexual/perverted after the first 5 minutes. Course... I may be partially to blame for this.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Developer Extraordinar
    Quote Originally Posted by Synful
    Meh... On ANewEraIRC, the technical discussions tend to become homosexual/perverted after the first 5 minutes. Course... I may be partially to blame for this.
    Of course you are... you and Brad both.... damn you :|

enmand

Quote Originally Posted by MicroBurn
    Of course you are... you and Brad both.... damn you :|

enmand
    [21:00] <kryptonic> back to the homo talk i see lol
    [21:00] <Synja> Yep
    [21:01] <Synja> blah blah blah... security kernel... blah blah blah... reference monitor... blah blah blah.. ***Very funny phrase that is apparently too naughty for AO***
    [21:01] <skiddlaptop> reference monitor?
    [21:01] <skiddlaptop> that's too hardcore

:P
    Last edited by D0pp139an93r; December 14th, 2006 at 04:37 PM.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Many thanks, I will give that a go soon. I'm going to have another shot at my Virtual Server now.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hi Moira,

These are my personal opinions as a member rather than a moderator, and in no way should be taken to represent the views of JupiterMedia or their staff.

The big problem with IRC is that it is open to anyone and is unmoderated. In this respect it is similar to unmoderated newsgroups, that are prime targets for spamming.

I guess that the major conflicts of interest are fourfold?

1. The site is owned and managed by a commercial organisation who have a reputation to think of.

2. The primary focus of the site is computer security, so it needs to maintain a professional image.

3. This is a community and family site, so minors are allowed, and even encouraged, to use it.

4. This is an international site, and we need to be a bit cautious as to causing offence inadvertently, let alone deliberately.

Given those constraints, it really isn't practical to have IRC and newsgroups that are officially sponsored by this community and associated with it, yet are totally exposed to idiots.

I am afraid that it is the old story of the minority spoiling things for the majority