Thread: microsoft virtual pc with windows 95

microsoft virtual pc with windows 95

Hey, I'm trying to install windows 95 on my windows xp box through Virtual PC. I have some legacy apps that will only run on windows 95. I've copied the install files to a directory inside of my virtual drive. When I start the install, I'm told that I have a disk compression program going, and that I can't do the install. what am I doing wrong? how do I make this work?
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn\'t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

You might try installing it from within your XP installation, then creating your VM?

Just a guess, but that would be how I would expect it to work?

EDIT: Moved to operating systems

This virtual pc program is supposed to act like VMWare... but it's microsoft's product. I can create a linux, or windows 98 system running through it. I mean it accually has it's own bios.

virtual hard drive... so I'm not sure how I'd go about doing what you recommend...
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn\'t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Hi schumanusa

I don't have Virtual PC myself, but I have heard good things about it from those who do.

The suggestion I made was to load the installation files into your XP environment such as c:\VPC\
    and launch it from there. I would expect it to then prompt you to create the VM environment of your choice.

At that point I would expect it to create a "virtual hard drive" as well. It would not be efficient if you had to create the virtual drive first (maybe I misunderstood your first post?).

Are you running file compression, incidentally?...................from what I was told you create the VM, THEN compress it?

My understanding is that it runs from within XP, so you go to XP and start it up each time you want to create a new VM.

Can you tell me the exact error messages that you get?

Also, what are these applications that require "Windows 95"? I am not aware of anything running on Windows 95 that will not run on Windows 98SE, which would be a much better solution IMO. So, for investigation purposes I would borrow a Win 98 installation CD and see if you get the same message?

I have to attend a horticultural show and a vintage automobile rally (private customer contact ) so I will not be able to take a further look until tonight.

I only have XP pro boxes, but I can download the trial and try to load a version of Win 95, 98 and ME and see what happens...............obviously it would help if I can replicate your problem, then I can talk to colleagues who are well versed with the software over the phone.......... our different time zones doesn't help

Cheers