Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ethereal now wireshark

ethereal now wireshark

The world's most popular network protocol analyzer has a new home!

Gerald Combs, the creator of the Ethereal® network protocol analyzer, has accepted a position with CACE Technologies. CACE is best known for the popular WinPcap packet capture library.

Along with the move comes a new name for the project: Wireshark.

This site (http://www.wireshark.org/) is the new home of the project. We look forward to continuing our success as world-class network protocol analyzer under the new name, and we welcome you to join us.
    source: http://wireshark.org/
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Urgh, I hate it when a product that is well known such as Ethereal goes and changes its name.

Great grab. Thanks for the heads up.

--Th13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Computer Forensics
    And what a lousy new name if I do say so myself...wireshark..sounds so corporate..I'd almost have to say it's only a matter of time before we see a corporate offering.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Eh, at least I can rest assured knowing I no longer need to hear people butcher the pronounciation of "Ethereal" again.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Originally posted here by Striek
    Eh, at least I can rest assured knowing I no longer need to hear people butcher the pronounciation of "Ethereal" again.
    Was it Ether-Eel or E-thear-e-al??? And how can you assure that one or another is the correct pronounciation? (I've never looked through the FAQ to see if there was a pronounciation guide)... I was prefered pronounciation one and everyone I worked with previously used that one... However everyone I work with now seems to use pronounciation 2...

how to "say" it depends on the "rules" of your language.
    As for the FAQ...

Ethernet history. Electrons bounding in the ether. But what if it was real... Ether- REAL. Not like any 2 HT but both. That is; the words Ether Real sound like both but more like your number 2.

The real luminous ether.

Confusing... this link is from the FAQ.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ry&va=ethereal
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    how to "say" it depends on the "rules" of your language.
    As for the FAQ...

Ethernet history. Electrons bounding in the ether. But what if it was real... Ether- REAL. Not like any 2 HT but both. That is; the words Ether Real sound like both but more like your number 2.

The real luminous ether.

Confusing... this link is from the FAQ.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ry&va=ethereal
    Ether-Real sounds more like my first (IMO)... Ether eel ether reel.... but me... I also think that the pronounciation of the world can't really be taken because this is a proper name... if there's one thing I've learned.. with proper names.. pronounciation goes out the Window.. even if it's a real word...

Urgh, I hate it when a product that is well known such as Ethereal goes and changes its name.
    Well, I guess Wireshark does sound a bit more "macho" than Ethereal Don't know if that was their motivation though. It also makes the pronunciation less problematic.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

You say tomato I say tomAHto, you say potato I say potAHto, let's call the whole thing off.

-Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Like linux...Torvalds had an mp3 made of the correct pronunciation, hehe...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.